which is better?

Old 05-13-06, 05:59 AM
which is better?

Which is better-a power flush on a automatic trans or the old way, drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-06, 06:05 AM
This is a big debate, I'm not sure you'll get a conclusive answer
However, you may get a better idea of what's better for you if you post up the vehicle, mileage, and condition of the fluid/tranny

Old 05-13-06, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always thought that the power flush was superior but then I started hearing the horror stories about the cleaner not being completetly removed and the possibility of contaminent transfer from another transmission.

I still think a power flush done right would be better but it scared me enough that I dropped the pan and did it myself on my wife's merc.

Old 05-13-06, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
Depends largely on whether you are the one paying to have it done or being paid to do it.
I've never done more than filter and fluid changes on any of my vehicles and never had a tranny fail (other than for just being worn out from high mileage).

Old 05-13-06, 09:06 AM
it would probably depend alot on what type of filter the transmission uses if a screen there is really no reason to ever need to replace it and a flush would probably be better.
in vehicles that use a dacron filter it is probably better to have the pan dropped and changed.
from what ive read the flush cant really damage the transmission if the correct fluid is used for the vehicle its being done on, the name may sound like its flushing the transmission but really its just circulating the old fluid out while adding new fluid at normal cooler line pressure.

Old 05-13-06, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by marksr
I always thought that the power flush was superior but then I started hearing the horror stories about the cleaner not being completetly removed and the possibility of contaminent transfer from another transmission.

I still think a power flush done right would be better but it scared me enough that I dropped the pan and did it myself on my wife's merc.
I am not making this up: I once was power flushed by coffee maker cleaner once when I drank it and the employee at the store neglected to put a sign on the machine, to warn people. It is a cleaner they run through the machine, like they would the transmission. Had to have the employee read the ingredients on the label as to decide whether or not to go to the hospital. Luckily all the ingredients sounded quite inert. Whew!

Old 05-13-06, 09:23 PM
problem with power flush is god knows what kind of fluid they use to replace the old one, most of the time is generic mickey mouse brand, when using old method of changing filter and adding a couple quarts you usually know what you're putting back in there, remember tranny fluid is basically hydraulic fluid so use a good one.