EVAP code, 2000 Cavalier, WHAT TO DO?

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-06, 04:05 PM
EVAP code, 2000 Cavalier, WHAT TO DO?

2000 Cavalier, 2.2L, 150K miles, automatic.

Engine light stays on, so I bought a pocket code reader. Says

P0442
P0442 PD

According to what I've found on the internet, there's a small leak detected either at the gas cap (is this common on higher mileage vehicles?) or possibly in a hose somewhere.

IF this is not a gas cap problem (which I will hopefully replace today), how do I find this leak? Is it just easier to replace the all hoses?

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-06, 04:24 PM
it's most likely the cap.

Old 05-14-06, 05:18 PM
Probably wasn't tightened properly after a fill-up

Old 05-14-06, 06:42 PM
Slickshift, I wish I could say that but it's been saying this for several months with me erasing the code A LOT.

Replaced the gas cap w/a new one and erased the code, after about 4 miles to and from the church, it didn't come back on, so that's good news but it's only 4 miles....... we'll see this week during the commute...

Old 05-14-06, 06:55 PM
Well, you could've mentioned that before

Lol

If it's been happening for a while, it's not a one-time loose cap
It still could be the seal around the cap
The new one is the best easiest place to start

Beyond that it gets a little more...tricky
You'd be looking for a loose, broken, or cracked piece of hose somewhere to or from the charcoal cannister

Let's see how the cap works out

Old 05-15-06, 06:50 PM
Lol, there's always that one piece of information I forget to tell, sorry slickshift... been a long week

So far so good, put 40 miles on it today with no engine light. I noticed what looks to be a sensor on the inside of the gas cap (never bothered to look there before). Is that what's in there? If so, how on earth does the computer read it?

As far as the hose (if the light comes back on) would it make sense just to buy a big roll of the proper hose and replace it all? I haven't looked into the engine compartment to see what size task I just proposed, I hope it's not huge.

Now if I can further narrow down the Tacoma issue in the other post. We're moving to NC soon which does vehicle inspections and an engine light is "automatic failure".

Old 05-16-06, 04:01 AM
Those had a bad habit of the wires going to the vent solenoid corroding............find the vent solenoid, it's above the rear axle, near the right rear wheel, there's two wires going to it, a pink one and a white one. Give them a tug one at a time and see if the wire breaks in half.If a wire breaks, you can buy a replacement harness at a GM dealer. If they don't, since you're not really equipped to fully check the system out, I'd gamble and replace the vent solenoid.

Old 05-16-06, 04:04 AM
P.S. I have a saying, it goes something like this: It's never a loose gas cap.
Yeah I know never is a long time, and somewhere along the way somebody did leave a cap loose and the check engine light does come on when they are left loose, but this has gotten way too much publicity to the point where check engine lights and there causes have developed a far too over simplification. So of course it can be a loose gas cap, but chances are ....not.

Old 05-16-06, 07:01 PM
Well, so far so good, we replaced the gas cap and 50+ miles later it isn't showing an engine light. I'll take lucky when I can get it.

Old 05-16-06, 07:18 PM
nap
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
P.S. I have a saying, it goes something like this: It's never a loose gas cap.
Yeah I know never is a long time, and somewhere along the way somebody did leave a cap loose and the check engine light does come on when they are left loose, but this has gotten way too much publicity to the point where check engine lights and there causes have developed a far too over simplification. So of course it can be a loose gas cap, but chances are ....not.

Wifes light came on a couple weeks ago. Tightened cap, cleared code, no light yet.

I guess I'm the source of the anecdote, but it is true.

Actually I have seen this several times and I'm not even a car tech.

Old 05-18-06, 05:48 PM
bigguy, who do I replace the vent solenoid?

The code came up again today. I'm 30 seconds from pulling the "check engine" light bulb out, that would solve it quick.

Old 05-19-06, 01:10 AM
Have you changed the filter on the vapor canister.

Old 05-20-06, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by mako
bigguy, who do I replace the vent solenoid?

The code came up again today.

Check the wires to the vent solenoid first, and then replace the solenoid if the wires are okay.

Old 05-20-06, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by nap
Wifes light came on a couple weeks ago. Tightened cap, cleared code, no light yet.

I guess I'm the source of the anecdote, but it is true.

Actually I have seen this several times and I'm not even a car tech.

Tightening caps and seeing lights go out for awhile does not a fixed car make. The colors of your not being a tech are showing.

Old 05-20-06, 08:21 AM
nap
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
Tightening caps and seeing lights go out for awhile does not a fixed car make. The colors of your not being a tech are showing.
occum's razor

Worked in my case and still is.

Old 05-21-06, 01:44 AM
me tooo

i have a 97 pontiac grand prix 3.8 v6. same problem keep getting same code sometimes even twice at the same time,p0441 evap emissions controll leak, tried the gas cap no avail.

Old 06-12-11, 09:29 AM
you are forgetting these solonoids actuators etc, have small rubber grommets in them, these LEAK, when they leak they are vacuum leak and evap codes latched,, open this up and reverse the grommet, ,, also there is a rubber diaprham to pull against actuator, this too, develops a hole,,, must be replaced,,,,, why buy new scanner when partsstopre will rent them for deposit and free,,,

Old 06-12-11, 11:28 AM
The hose "maze" is pretty complex. It doesnt just go to the charcoal canister and the engine. There are hoses and seals that go to the fuel tank as well. The part that you are describing in the gas cap is the vent mechanism. It is a diaphragm that vents the fuel vapor so that the fuel tank doesnt build excess pressure. The easiest way to find an actual leak is with either air or smoke. However the novice is not normally equipped with such equipment.
On a different note... If you pull the bulb that is also an automatic failure!!! During the inspection process that bulb must light to perform a bulb check when the key is cycled. Once the car is hooked up to the computer if it sees codes in the system or readiness statuses that are not set it will fail as well. There is no way around that. Sorry!!!
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-12-11, 07:44 PM
on an evap code it may be worth paying for dio and replace the part yourself, a dealer would probably hit you with 1 hr dio to smoke the system (w/nitrogen) and no leaks doesnt mean no problem they can also use the computer to cycle solenoids to see if one is faulty which a cheap OBD2 u buy or borrow cant do. this is one of those things that you may want to pay a little dio time to save throwing parts at it.
good luck

Old 06-13-11, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Guys, the original post is over 5 years old; likely it's fixed or no longer in his possession.

Old 06-14-11, 05:30 AM
WOW... Oops... Didnt even see that Tow Guy... LOL.

Old 06-14-11, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
That's why I make the big bucks.

Old 06-15-11, 09:43 AM
HAHAHAHAHA... I remember those days. LOL

Closed Thread