97 Ford Ranger XLT Clutch Replacement??

Old 05-14-06, 04:18 PM
97 Ford Ranger XLT Clutch Replacement??

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT. The clutch pedal has no resistance at all when I push it in. Most times when putting it in reverse there is a grinding noise. Every time I shift up, or downshift, it is rocky, like I will go slow with the clutch pedal even and try to match it up and it still just like falls into the gear instead of shifting into it. Is this a clutch problem? Or possibly a transmission issue? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-06, 04:24 PM
sounds like a leak

Sounds like your hyd clutch has a leak how is the fluid leval?Once you get it in gear and give it gas does it have good pickup with no slippage?

Old 05-14-06, 04:30 PM
The fluid level is good, and when i give it alot of gas it does have good pickup with some slippage, like when I start from a stop into first gear, it has to peel out. also, starting in first gear it like wants to die on me untill i give it alot of gas to get it goin.

Old 05-14-06, 07:10 PM
a few questions

How many miles do you have? Also what I mean by slipping is go into 3rd gear and give her the gas does engine rev but truck does not move?

Old 05-15-06, 01:52 AM
It has 108000 miles on it, and it does not slip. After it shifts, it goes fine, its just the shifting/downshifting thats the problem.

Old 05-15-06, 03:01 AM
ok

Them you have a problem with the clutch hyd system either the slave or master cyl ,Start by bleeding the system .Sounds like your clutch plate is good just the part that disengages it is bad.
The bad part is I think your slave is inside the bellhousing and hard to get to,

Old 05-15-06, 12:50 PM
ok, Thanks!