How to remove, re-seal and replace tail light on 2000 Dodge Neon?

Old 05-15-06, 09:57 AM
How to remove, re-seal and replace tail light on 2000 Dodge Neon?

I've had a leaky trunk in my Dodge Neon for a while now. I read that the problem was improperly sealed tail lights and the solution is to re-seal them to stop the leaking. How can I do this? I purchased the silicon but am not sure how to do this correctly.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-06, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by jsl728
I've had a leaky trunk in my Dodge Neon for a while now. I read that the problem was improperly sealed tail lights and the solution is to re-seal them to stop the leaking. How can I do this? I purchased the silicon but am not sure how to do this correctly.
Thanks!

Leaky trunk ? you mean water comes in when raining or in a car wash ? check your weather stripping on trunk for cracks or missing areas, is trunk lid bent or corroded ?

Old 05-15-06, 12:43 PM
Well, the water comes in through the tail light during the drainage process (during a rain), fills up the spare tire well, then when I brake the overflow sloshes under the back seat into the rear floorboards. I was told to reseal the tail lights to remedy the problem. Apparently it's a common problem with Dodge Neon owners. However, the forum didn't explain how to actually reseal the tail lights.

Old 05-15-06, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by jsl728
Well, the water comes in through the tail light during the drainage process (during a rain), fills up the spare tire well, then when I brake the overflow sloshes under the back seat into the rear floorboards. I was told to reseal the tail lights to remedy the problem. Apparently it's a common problem with Dodge Neon owners. However, the forum didn't explain how to actually reseal the tail lights.

To the best of my knowledge tail lights don't need to be sealed, they should have a perfect fit on the body housing of the car, if you want I guess you could seal the edges with silicon like you said but not a good idea IMO, never heard of it before

Old 05-16-06, 02:03 AM
tip

Get in the trunk with a flashlight have your helper outside with a garden hose water down the areas you can watch were it comes in and go from there.(make sure he lets you out)

Old 05-16-06, 08:27 AM
Thank you for your advice, I got it taken care of. Thank you again!