1988 Chevy Vandura computer

Old 05-16-06, 07:55 PM
1988 Chevy Vandura computer

We are trying to find the location of the computer on a 1988 Chevy Vandura. We cannot locate it. Any suggestions as to where it may be located? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-06, 02:46 AM
suspect it would be under the passenger side dash or possibly behind the glove box.

Old 05-17-06, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
The Vandura wasn't listed but here's where an Astro's is located:

SEATING AREA, PASSENGER SIDE, UNDER DASH, MOUNTED BEHIND KICK PANEL

Full-size van:

FRONT SEATING AREA, DRIVER SIDE, UNDER SEAT, ABOVE TRACKING RAILS, MOUNTED IN CENTER OF SEAT RISER SUPPORTS

Old 05-17-06, 09:14 AM
Computer not under the seat

We had all ready torn most of the dash apart looking for it and it is no where to be seen. There is no kick panel. We have looked under both front seats. There is nothing under the passenger seat and the only thing under the drivers seat is the motor for the electric seat. Any other ideas where the computer may be hiding? Thanks!

Old 05-17-06, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by kelam01
We had all ready torn most of the dash apart looking for it and it is no where to be seen. There is no kick panel. We have looked under both front seats. There is nothing under the passenger seat and the only thing under the drivers seat is the motor for the electric seat. Any other ideas where the computer may be hiding? Thanks!
Try taking a look under the hood if you haven't found it either inside the passenger side kickpanel or over the glovebox. This is according to my local Chevy dealer. (If it's under the hood it's probably on the right fender or near the firewall.) (You said there is no kickpanel, are you referring to the vertical plastic part located immediately forward of the passenger door (where someone's feet would rest against if they were seated in the passenger seat) or a panel on the bottom of the dash?) GM considers the kickpanel to
be the vertical piece of plastic forward of the door, so behind that panel would be
the first place to look.

Christopher

Last edited by ChristopherT; 05-17-06 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 02:22 PM
No kickpanel at all

There is not a kickpanel located forward of the door and we have the whole dash torn apart. All that is left on the right side of the van is the heating unit.

Old 05-17-06, 03:23 PM
There is not a kickpanel located forward of the door and we have the whole dash torn apart. All that is left on the right side of the van is the heating unit.
Here is a link to a picture of the Electronic Control Module for your van... If this works you should see an image of grey box with a single black multi-connector on one end. This should help you track it down, it's probably under the hood. I'd start on the firewall and
failing that, check the tops of the right and left fenders.

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Cardone/...ne/774288.html

Christopher

Last edited by ChristopherT; 05-17-06 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 03:49 PM
Still can't find it

First of all, thanks for trying to help. We have looked everywhere under the hood. Someone else suggested to look in the wheel wells, which we have also done. We stopped at a parts place the other day to see exactly what it looked like, so we all ready knew that, but thanks for sending the link. We have even taken out the defrost components. Still no luck. The reason we are trying to find the computer is because we were told the fuel pump was out, thus we replaced the fuel pump. The van still wouldn't start. If we squirt ether in, it will run until the ether runs out. We are getting fuel to the throttle body, but we are not getting any fuel from the injectors. We are not getting fire on either side of either injector. Any ideas other than a computer problem that could cause the problem with the fuel not getting to the injectors? We are considering dinamite! lol

Old 05-17-06, 04:10 PM
First of all, thanks for trying to help. We have looked everywhere under the hood. Someone else suggested to look in the wheel wells, which we have also done.We are getting fuel to the throttle body, but we are not getting any fuel from the injectors. We are not getting fire on either side of either injector. Any ideas other than a computer problem that could cause the problem with the fuel not getting to the injectors? We are considering dinamite! lol
AAHH! Okay! So the root problem is you are getting fuel to the throttle body but not out the injectors? Have you checked all the fuses, there might be one that controls the injectors, on the '88 cars it was either the Gauges fuse - 10a, the ERLS fuse -10a, or the F/P Inj fuse - 10a. Unfortunately I only have manuals for GM passenger cars of that era.

Christopher

Old 05-17-06, 04:50 PM
Fuses have been checked

That was the first thing that we did was check the fuses. We are at a loss as to what else to check.

Old 05-17-06, 04:52 PM
You'd better look again under the driver's seat. I've also seen, but think this might be later models, that it's under the radio, directly above the engine cover.
And then there's the question of do you really need to be finding it?

Old 05-17-06, 05:07 PM
That was the first thing that we did was check the fuses. We are at a loss as to what else to check.
I believe that van was OBD1 compliant, did you ever get a check engine light before it stopped running or check for stored error codes? I generally don't recommend using used critical parts like fuel injectors for obvious reasons, but is there a used parts dealer around that might sell you a pair of used injectors for diagnostic use? I can't think of anything that would take out both injectors that wasn't electrical in nature. What
condition is the wiring that feeds the injector connectors?

Thanks!

Christopher

Old 05-17-06, 05:46 PM
Check Engine Light

We bought this vehicle at an auction. The auctioneer stated that the fuel pump was out. That is all that we know about it. We have replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the throttle body. But we are at a loss as to why the fuel is not coming from the injectors other than an electrical problem. The wiring is all in good shape. We have no way of personally checking error codes, but may consider purchasing this.

Old 05-17-06, 07:21 PM
We bought this vehicle at an auction. The auctioneer stated that the fuel pump was out. That is all that we know about it. We have replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the throttle body. But we are at a loss as to why the fuel is not coming from the injectors other than an electrical problem. The wiring is all in good shape. We have no way of personally
checking error codes, but may consider purchasing this.
You might want to check the fuel pressure regulator to see if
it's leaking (pull the vacuum line and look for moisture (gas).) You
are definately hearing the fuel pump running when the van is
first turned on, correct? A bad oil pressure sending unit might
keep the fuel pump from turning on if it doesn't sense any
oil pressure while the engine is cranking, not all engines have
this type of switch though.

You may want to look under the dash (generally on the driver's side) for the ALDL connector. It's usually black and has 2 rows of six holes. The letters run from F to A on the top row, and G to M on the bottom. Generally holes I, J, and K are empty. If you can run a paper clip from hole A to B while the key is on the ON position and the engine isn't running, you might get the ECM to flash the codes on the check engine light.

In this mode, the computer will display a Code 12, three consecutive times, by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" or light. A Code 12 consists of one flash, a short pause, then two flashes in rapid succession.

After Code 12 is displayed, any stored trouble codes will be displayed by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" light. All codes are displayed 3 times each then a code 12 will repeat.

If you can afford it, you might want to stop down to Pep Boys or another auto parts outlet and pick up an ODB1 compliant
code scanner. I picked one up for around $50 for my 99 Blazer
when I started having tranny trouble and it paid for itself
quickly. Mine is an Actron CP9135 for OBDII cars and trucks.

It's obvious there is something more to this and perhaps you
can get the van to give you some help if you can just get
the data from the ECM. It's also possible that the codes have
been cleared accidently while you were fixing the van.

I just went through all this with my Blazer, it turned out to be
a bad fuel pump but I had to go through all this diagnostic work
to rule out having to pull the tank and fix it. I did end up fixing the pump then I traded the Blazer in for a new Kia Sedona!

Christopher

Old 05-17-06, 08:24 PM
Fuel pump

Yes, we are definitely hearing the fuel pump running when the key is turned on. We will check the other things you suggested tomorrow. We have all ready checked on the price of the code scanner at O'Reilly's and it was around $30.00. Will probably pick one of those up tomorrow too. This is actually kind of funny, we only paid $125.00 for the van at this auction as there weren't very many people there and obviously they didn't want a van they had to work on. We are beginning to be sorry we bought it now. We will be trading this van for a Blazer when and if we get it fixed. The will probably sell or trade in the Blazer for a more fuel efficient vehicle. Thanks again for your help and will keep you posted on how it is going. Thanks again for all of your help!!

Old 05-17-06, 08:47 PM
Yes, we are definitely hearing the fuel pump running when the key is turned on. We will check the other things you suggested tomorrow. We have all ready checked on the price of the code scanner at O'Reilly's and it was around $30.00. Will probably pick one of those up tomorrow too. This is actually kind of funny, we only paid $125.00 for the van at this auction as there weren't very many people there and obviously they didn't want a van they had to work on. We are beginning to be sorry we bought it now. We will be trading this van for a Blazer when and if we get it fixed. The will probably sell or trade in the Blazer for a more fuel efficient vehicle. Thanks again for your help and will keep you posted on how it is going. Thanks again for all of your help!!
Actron's ODB-I compliant scanner for the GM vehicles is the CP9001 and retails for around $39.00. It doesn't have a provision for erasing the codes, so you'd have to do that by disconnecting the van battery for a few minutes. It does have the benefit of accessing the ABS (anti-lock brake system) codes as well as the ECM codes.

Good Luck, because I'm curious to what the problem will be when you get this beast started! It's not the truck's fault, I'd blame the original owner. He wasn't likely being upfront with the auction company so he could get more for the van.

Christopher

Old 05-18-06, 02:53 AM
are you getting power to the injectors should be able to use a test light and check for power at the injector harness with test light hooked to negative side of the battery.
another question would be is this a conversion van does it have a center console might check under it for the ecm.

Old 05-18-06, 03:58 AM
Code scanner and power to injectors

O'Reilly didn't mention anything about there being more than one scanner. Will have to double check to see if they or anyone has the other one you mentioned. Yes, it isn't the vans fault and we are sure that the person wasn't honest with the auctioneer. But we figured for that price, we couldn't go wrong. The inside of this van is immaculate with leather seats and carpeting everywhere. The exterior isn't too bad, with only a couple pieces of trim coming lose, which is easily fixable. We figured worst came to worst, we could always part it out if something was more majorly wrong with it. With the price we paid for it, we would still come out ahead. We have checked to see if there was power to the fuel injectors and there is. There is not a console, only the doghouse. Another person told us to look near the master cylinder for the ECM, so plan to do that today. Thanks again for everyone trying to help!

Old 05-18-06, 04:09 AM
does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to the run position?
no reason to really need a code reader just use a jumper like a paper clip and jumper pins a and b together at the aldl connector under the drivers side dash and trun key on any trouble codes will flash through the check engine light code 12 will be the start and it will flash each code 3 times before going to the next code then will repeat.
basicly you have no injector pulse from the computer have you tried replacing the ignition module?
check out autozones website below for info on reading codes and which pins to jumper.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80170d8b.jsp

Old 05-18-06, 04:13 AM
No check engine light

The check engine light does not stay on when the key is turned on. Yes, we knew we weren't getting an injector pulse, that is why we were wanting to check out the ECM, which we can't find. No we haven't tried changing the ignition module.

Old 05-18-06, 04:13 AM
We have checked to see if there was power to the fuel injectors and there is. There is not a console, only the doghouse. Another person told us to look near the master cylinder for the ECM, so plan to do that today. Thanks again for everyone trying to help!
If there is power to the injectors and the code scan comes up
clean, you're next step might be to buy a new set of injectors
just to see if the truck will start. It's possible the original owner did something that damaged the injectors.

Christopher

Old 05-18-06, 04:18 AM
New injectors

That is true. You never know what may have been done to the van before we got it. And the person that owned it wasn't too forward with giving much info. She seemed kind of daft when we asked her things about it.

Old 05-18-06, 04:20 AM
does it atleast come on for a second when the key is turned on or does it never come on?

Old 05-18-06, 04:26 AM
Yes, it comes on then goes off. That's what I meant when I said it didn't stay on.

Old 05-18-06, 04:41 AM
check for codes by using the link above it should flash a code 12 if no other codes are stored I would suspect an ignition module it is not uncommon for them to not send a refrence signal to the ecm but still have spark just no injector pulse.
there is flow charts to test the system but you would need a good manual for emmision controls or a subscription to all data or chilton online first flow chart you would do is a no start then it would probably send you to another chart based on the outcome such as no injector pulse or will not flash code 12 flow chart etc at any rate you would need to find the ecm to be able to do most of them at the ecm connectors.

Old 05-18-06, 04:45 AM
I need to backtrack a little here. We are not getting power at the injectors. There is more than one of us working on this and was thinking that I was told there was power to the injectors. One problem with trying to check any of these codes is that the battery was dead when we got the van. Woudn't the codes have all ready been lost because of that? Thanks.

Old 05-18-06, 04:57 AM
the ecm pulses ground to the injectors the injectors should have positive power at the injectors any time the key is on it is fused usually called injector fuse or inj on the fuse block if you take a test lamp and confirm you do not have power at the injectors by attaching one lead to the negative side of the battery and the other to the injector harness with the injectors disconnected it should light on one wire at each of the injector connectors with the key on if you dont have power there or no light you should check at the fuse using the test light to see if you are getting power to the fuse check both sides of the fuse with the key on to see if you have power at the fuse.
if the battery went dead you should of lost any codes that may have been stored but once the battery is recharged it can still detect some hard faults checking codes is probably not that important if the injectors do not have power with the key on.

Old 05-18-06, 05:15 AM
We will check to be sure there is power to the fuse.

Old 05-18-06, 02:06 PM
We have rechecked and we are getting power to the injectors. It was suggested to change the ignition module. If the van will start when shot with ether, shouldn't the ignition module be working in order for it to start that way? We haven't had a chance today because of work to check anything else out.

Old 05-18-06, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it starts on starter fluid, the ignition module is probably okay.

I have a factory manual for an '88 Buick Regal. No it's not the same car, but it is the same year and manufacturer. It's ECM is located under hood in front of the right shock tower.

Old 05-19-06, 02:24 AM
it is not uncommon for an ignition module to go bad and still have spark and run on starting fluid the module has 2 jobs one is for basic spark function the other is to send a refrence signal to the ecm so it knows when to pulse the injectors if I was going to take a guess and not go through all the flow charts for a no start condition I would probably try a module.

Old 05-19-06, 02:38 AM
Question

Don't know about Ford but does this vehicle have a security system that does not allow the fuel system to operate?just curious.

Old 05-19-06, 01:10 PM
We have had the ignition module checked out and was told it was working fine. Haven't had a chance to check any codes yet, but will need to get a code scanner as the check engine light isn't lighting up even for a code 12. It doesn't even light and go off when you turn the key on now. To our knowledge, there isn't a security system on the van. But we don't know much about it as we just got it.

Old 05-20-06, 04:42 AM
If the check engine light is not on, your not going to get any codes out of the system. It's dead. Stick with what I messaged you about and let me know. Don't buy a scan too, that system can be checked using flash codes, but if the lights not on, the codes will not be read no matter what method your using.

Old 05-20-06, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
If the check engine light is not on, your not going to get any codes out of the system. It's dead. Stick with what I messaged you about and let me know. Don't buy a scan too, that system can be checked using flash codes, but if the lights not on, the codes will not be read no matter what method your using.
I have to agree with Bigguy05461, if there is no check engine light then there's no reason to invest in a scan tool. This one has to be done the old fashioned way. Is there a GM dealer nearby that can print out the fuel system wiring diagram for the van? When my Blazer died on the road, I took a cab to my house and drove my car to the dealer. The service department was nice enough to print out a schematic for the Blazer.

Christopher