No Power. No Lights No Start.

Old 05-17-06, 07:28 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Power. No Lights No Start.

I have a 1976 CJ7 304 V8

I drove it the other day and no ower no lights no start. The battery is new and charged.

When I turn the key I get nothing, not even a click.

Lights won't work and neither will anything else electrical.

HELP!!!

Could this be a bad solenoid simply not letting power passed it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-06, 10:27 AM
S
Well, check the connections to the battery and all that
To the coil, and to the starter, etc....

...and there is a fusible link that'll shut off everything when it's blown
I ended up replacing it with an in-line fuse
('76 DJ )
IIRC it was against the firewall on mine
The wire just sort of gets thicker for a bit-that was the only clue a fuse-able link was in there

-but the AMCs of this time were sort of "do what works" and could be different from one to the other, and mine was also a Gov't Jeep and a six, so it might be different

I do still have a manual that possibly has wire diagrams for the 8s (the Jeep, sadly, I have no more)
I'll check through if you can't find it though

Let me know....

Old 05-17-06, 10:48 AM
E
Thanks slickshift!

I am not clear where you are saying the fusible link is. Is it after the solenoid? In the line to the starter?

And, what do you mean by "IIRC it was against the firewall on mine"? What is IIRC?

I plan on replacing the solenoid tonight and also the battery cables if the solenoid does not work.

Old 05-17-06, 11:28 AM
S
Ah, sorry...
the fusible link was somewhere in between the ignition switch and the starter I believe
Most of those wires ran along the firewall
I don't remember if it was before or after the solenoid
-or along side and bypassing it

If I Remember Correctly (IIRC) it was against the firewall, but so was the solenoid
I'm going to say in between the ignition and the solenoid-but don't quote me on that
It may have just been along with those wires, not actually in-line

I'll try and check my manual tonight
I'm not sure if that will help
lol
With this vintage orphan (AMC Jeep), manuals often are a "kinda" help
lol

Have you tried bypassing the solenoid?
(little jumper wire)
That's usually a good test

As your lights don't work, I don't think it's a starter solenoid
(that is the solenoid you are referring to, correct?)

I'd do a thorough check of the cables first
-and look for that fusible link

Old 05-17-06, 12:57 PM
E
Thanks slickshift!

I picked up a set of bettery cables and a solenoid today and will try them tonight.

Yes, I am referring to the starter solenoid, which is attahed to the firewall. The positive cable on the battery goes directly to the solenoid and there are no accessory connections to the battery. All power starts at the solenoid and this is why I think it may be a bad solenoid.

If it's not the solenoid I think it may be a bad ground.

Old 05-17-06, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have two wires that fork off the positive post of your battery? Many vehicles have the big fat red one and then a smaller red wire that also connects up with the battery cable on the same post. Since you don't have lights... the fusible link just beyond the battery could be bad. It would be in-line in that smaller red wire. A fusible link is a cylinder of plastic-rubber that might be like 3/8 inch round by 1 1/4 inches long. Something like that. There is no actual fuse you can see. All you see is one of these pieces of cylindrical pieces of plastic-rubber connected in the red primary wire. You need to take one of those 12 volt electrical testing skewering probes, that light up when you hit 12 volts, and probe the wire BEFORE (the battery side of it) the fusible link and hook the other end of the probe to ground, and see if the light on the probe lights up., Then do the same test on the OTHER side of the fusible link.

I was in the position, with my work vehicle, to diagnose the same problem on a ladys car as she came out of the grocery store, and got her going by sectioning in a piece of smaller gauge wire to take the place of the burned fusible link. There often is no external signs that it is bad. That is why you have to probe test the wires on each side, to find out. I made sure the lady understood what I did, temporarily, and to tell her husband to get a new link or fuse, to size it per requirements.

Old 05-18-06, 06:41 AM
E
Thanks DaVeBoy!

Actually, there is no fork of the positive battery post. The positive battery wire goes directly to the solenoid and everything elses draws power from there.

But, I think you're right that it is a fusible link problem, but the fusible link is in a wire coming off the solenoid.

I've already tried a new solenoid and battery cables so now I have to track down where the fusible link is, which is not apparent because all the wires are in a harness. Ugh!

I am going to check it ouot later today.

Old 05-18-06, 07:49 AM
S
I checked the wiring diagrams
They claim the '76 8s are a little different
The diagram clearly shows two fusible links for 8s
Both on the red wire coming from the dash and going to the alternator

It looks like one before the battery (red) splices in, and one after the battery splices in
The battery splices in @ the solenoid

The wiring diagrams do not show the exact location, but I suspect the links should be found by tracing the red wires from the solenoid

Old 05-18-06, 05:52 PM
E
Thanks slickshift.

I now am convinced it is one of these fusible links. Thanks the information from the wiring diagrams. Now I just have to go find them. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 05-18-06, 10:15 PM
R
Make sure that the electrical links of your battery are properly and securely attached. You may have to check out the wirings. Or how bout just taking your car to your nearest auto mechaninc for fast and easy repair? That problem could have further negative impact on your car's lamps and lights.