1996 Dodge Neon

Old 05-17-06, 06:47 PM
1996 Dodge Neon

Hi, My daughter has a Neon that she calls her putt-putt car because thats what it sounds like when you first accelerate it.
I installed new plugs & plug wires, air filter, & pcv valve. It seems to run fine at idle but putts along when you pull out. Would it be possible the catalytic converter is getting blocked?
Any other ideas on what to check before I take it to the garage again. 2.0 liter SOHC engine. Thanks for your help. Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-06, 08:53 PM
It sounds like it may be the MAP sensor. It is located on the front of the motor on top.

Last edited by chastompa; 05-17-06 at 09:09 PM. Reason: remove title
Old 05-17-06, 09:11 PM
It sounds like it may be the MAP sensor. It is located on the front of the motor on top.

Old 05-18-06, 02:56 AM
is the check engine light on if so have codes checked first.

Old 05-18-06, 04:48 AM
I had a 96 Neon, sold it when it hit 250,000 miles!

Once you let us know about codes I am sure someone can help you in here. There are several things that "could" cause this issue.

My experience typically says a MAP sensor will make your check engine light flash and so will many other things.

Here is a simple way to get codes....if memory serves me correctly.

Tun ignition to run position... note cehck engine light should come on...

turn it back off and back on 3 times without actually "cranking" over the engine. On the third time leave key in run position and watch the light...

It should flash in sequence. For example... 3 fast flash, pause 2 fast flash... that equals 32 etc.

It will go through code series and then it will repeat.

Old 05-19-06, 03:11 PM
1996 Neon

Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. Check engine light never came on. I tried the 3 turns of the key to see if any codes came up. None. Is there any way to test the MAP sensor before I go out to auto parts store & shell out $100.00? Is it possible MAP sensor went bad & didn't give a code? Where exactly is the MAP sensor located on this particular motor? Thanks for your help. Dave

Old 05-19-06, 04:23 PM
not likely to be a map sensor problem would suggest you see a shop for diagnossis it sounds like it is missing from your description probably related to ignition components such as coil plugs or plug wires.