i own 2000 chevy silverado 100,000 miles i started noticing
when i came to a stop and let off the brake padle i felt a jolt
in brake system so i started changing components like the
master cylinder,all four brake rotors , front calipers.still
same problem.all i have left to change is back calipers and the
brake booster. any sugestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-06, 08:50 AM
can you give a better description of what you are feeling are you feeling a jolt like the vehicle moving forward or something in the brake pedal.

Old 05-19-06, 12:07 PM
brake problem

the problem is in brake pedal when i ease off the brakes i feel
the jolt . other times the brakes feel fine.

Old 05-19-06, 05:39 PM
might be an abs problem the abs may be engaging when its not really needed could be due to a bad wheel speed sensor suggest seeing a shop the dealership would probably be better for your problem. where the vehicle will probably need to be test driven enough to see the problem occur while monitoring the abs system

Old 05-19-06, 05:53 PM
I would suspect the ABS system also. Before you take it in lets take a real close look at the tires on this vehicle if you have a slight mismatch this could easily cause the symptons you are describing. Are you maybe running the spare on a corner or had a tire replaced? Look for sizing differences and also thread depth difference.

Old 05-20-06, 05:35 AM
That isn't the brakes your feeling jolt, it's the slip joint in the rear driveshaft relaxing after you release the brakes and the rear axle unwinds. It's caused by a slip/stick condition on the splined shaft that slides into the transfer case. All Chevy trucks are notorious for this symptom. It's more a nuisance than a real failure. Some trucks have a revised slip joint with nickel plated splines that can be installed on the drive shaft.

Old 05-20-06, 05:37 AM
OH yeah, you can know for sure if this is the condition by pulling the rear driveshaft and utilizing an acid brush, paint the splines with axle grease. Not too much, just enough to put a light coat over it. This'll get rid of it for around 7500 miles then it will return likely.

Old 05-20-06, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But would the poster feel it in the brakes? That is the impression I got from his post.

Old 05-21-06, 10:44 AM
True he does say he feels it in the "brake system". Not sure what he means by that, or how he would make that determination. My guess is he surmised it because of the part where it does it when he lets off t he brake pedal. I'm thinking an average layman wouldn't know for sure if the jolt was actually in the "brake system" unless further analysis was done, like listening to the "brake system" with a stethoscope or chassis ears. Or visibly seeing the "brake system" actually move upon the release of the brake pedal. My guess this is not the case and a cursory two plus two must equal its the "brake system" jolting was made.

Old 06-02-06, 09:58 PM
greased drive shaft

i pulled drive shaft and greased the yoke problem solved