97 ford ranger, cruise control problem

Old 05-21-06, 03:58 PM
97 ford ranger, cruise control problem

during the winter last year, there was a fire in the engine compartment which damaged 90% of the wires under the hood. upon filing an insurance claim, a garage accepted the claim and got it running again. but since then i have been without the luxury of cruise control, i know this might make me seem like a woman.....but on long road trips it is appreciated. when the cruise control button is set to turn on, the light turns on indication that the option still works, but the only problem is that the computer doesn't control the speed. i have been told that this is due to a cable that is missing. anybody have any input on this?

1997 ford ranger xlt
143,000 miles
2.3 ltr, 4 cyl, manual 5 spd

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-06, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
If the cable is missing it was probably burned up with the wiring. Would have to be the cable from the controller to the throttle, unless they are talking about a portion of electrical cable that is missing. Have it checked by someone knowledgable who can tell you for sure. Options would be to replace the missing part or replace the system with an add-on aftermarket cruise control. Won't have the oem look or the light in the instrument panel, but will get you "cruising" again, possibly cheaper than fixing the factory stuff.