Car jerks in the morning when I put it in reverse or drive

Old 05-22-06, 06:48 AM
Car jerks in the morning when I put it in reverse or drive

I wanted to get your opinion on something I have noticed my car doing lately. I have a 97 Honda Civic with 76,000 miles, and auto transmission. When I start my car in the morning and put car in reverse or drive it seems like it takes a second or 2 for gear to enage and I get a slight jerk. It only does this for a couple of minutes and after the car has warmed up a little it doesnt jerk when you put it in drive or reverse. Does anyone know what may cause something like this. The car seems to be driving well. Could it be the start of a transmission problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-06, 10:09 AM
start by checking the transmission fluid level.

Old 05-22-06, 11:01 AM
I actually checked that this AM, all the fluid levels are fine. I called the Honda dealership and they suggested a fuel injection service and cleaning the throttle body.

Old 05-22-06, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Well, for starters I would run, not walk, away from that dealership. Fuel injector and throttle body cleaning for a tranny problem? Service manager must have had a bad day at the track.

Yes, you potentially have a tranny problem coming. How well has the car been maintained. i.e. how often and how recent was the tranny serviced?

Old 05-22-06, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by mgfarmer
I wanted to get your opinion on something I have noticed my car doing lately. I have a 97 Honda Civic with 76,000 miles, and auto transmission. When I start my car in the morning and put car in reverse or drive it seems like it takes a second or 2 for gear to enage and I get a slight jerk. It only does this for a couple of minutes and after the car has warmed up a little it doesnt jerk when you put it in drive or reverse. Does anyone know what may cause something like this. The car seems to be driving well. Could it be the start of a transmission problem?

Check Tranny Fluid level just in case, I think this is due to higher rpm's when car is started cold, try warming it up a little before switching to any gear and go from there, Tranny fluid is cold too when first start up so that could explain the little delay on Tranny, remember to check fluid when hot idling in Park, use
parking brake.

Old 05-22-06, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Fluid levels are great. I did notice this AM that the RPM was about 1200 when I first started the car and this was when I was getting the slight jerking in drive and reverse. When the car warms up it idles at 500 and runs smoother.

Old 05-22-06, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Guys,

...could this sound like a torque converter issue? Guys who race auto-trannies at the drag strip utilizes converters that intentionally delay the grab until the rpms get higher, right?...to help get a good 'holeshot'. Well, his tranny is acting sort of that same way.