Adding Another Alternator

Old 05-23-06, 09:12 AM
Adding Another Alternator

Would it be possible to add another alternator to my 1990 chevy astro 4.3l. i was thinking about taking the compressor out and putting it there since i dont want a/c. but i dont know if i would need a bracket or not, I cant find anyting on the internet about this.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-06, 12:54 PM
why do you want 2 alternaters one should be plenty you should be able to get alot higher amp alternater than what is stock if needed, to replace the existing one.

Old 05-23-06, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by bejay
why do you want 2 alternaters one should be plenty you should be able to get alot higher amp alternater than what is stock if needed, to replace the existing one.
I run at bass comps
i looked and the highest one i could find was a 105amp... and thats way to small.

Old 05-23-06, 01:56 PM
what you could do is have a second battery, and large caps. in the comps, i havnt seen anyone run for long enough that they would drain two batteries with hi output alt

Old 05-23-06, 02:19 PM
two optimas

Get two optima battries and some big caps for your stereo along with a high output alternator that should be plenty good. Besides the power you suck for the big sound comes from the battery and not the alternator.
Only if you have a wimpy battery or a weak one will the alternator have to supply the reserve power with is not good for it anyway as it is made to keep the battery charged nothing more.

Old 05-23-06, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check this link. They appears to make heavy duty alternators for police and rescue vehicles. 250 amps @ 2000rpm. Of course you may have to make up a bracket and possibly swap out the pulley.
http://www.americanarmature.com/police.htm

Old 05-23-06, 02:25 PM
they are available however they will probably have to be built to put out higher amperage there is several online places that sell higher output alternaters might do a search for gm alternaters. 170 or even a 200 amp is available from what ive seen for your van.

Old 05-23-06, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone but i have two 2 farad caps and they dont help they do more damage the running with the batt and alt. i'll try couple of batts and see if that helps