94 Cavalier, No start power to nuetral safety switch

Old 05-11-06, 09:28 AM
Grayelve
Visiting Guest

Replaced starter with internal short. No start. Jumped power to yellow input wire of neutral safety switch and it starts but turning key to start is not getting power to switch. Maybe a fusible link or relay in start circuit. Noted that when car is running the abs light is on and brake light is flashing; Also with key on heater is not working but its fuse is ok. I am at the point of having to start taking the wiring harness apart and tracing wires, so I'm really hoping to hit on some help before this path to a fix. Thanks in advance Grayelve

Old 05-11-06, 01:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grayelve
Replaced starter with internal short. No start. Jumped power to yellow input wire of neutral safety switch and it starts but turning key to start is not getting power to switch. Maybe a fusible link or relay in start circuit. Noted that when car is running the abs light is on and brake light is flashing; Also with key on heater is not working but its fuse is ok. I am at the point of having to start taking the wiring harness apart and tracing wires, so I'm really hoping to hit on some help before this path to a fix. Thanks in advance Grayelve

check the fuses by the starter, and the ign switch

Old 05-13-06, 06:18 AM
Grayelve
Visiting Guest

Thanks chevyastro4x4, that section of harness is in a hard spot, first looks I see no line fuses, maybe inside of harness in that area. Will dig in further today, I just really am trying to avoid taking the dash apart to track down wires. As always, Gee why didn't I see that. Thanks Grayelve

Old 05-13-06, 12:47 PM
the fuses should be right by the starter. do you have a volt meter. check for voltages on the starter

Old 05-16-06, 05:39 PM
Grayelve
Visiting Guest
Need a print

Hi All ... 50 looks is good ... no fix yet. Astro, I checked the wires at the starter and the fuses are good. Sure could use a print to trace these wires, anybody got one they could scan and email, need the wire colors. There sems as though there must be a common thing with this problen of no start, no power to neutral sfety switch, no power to heater fuse in fuse block, and the asb relay is not picking up. At the key there is one of 2 plugs that has heavy red, yellow, and orange wires. Red always hot, key on nothing on orange or yellow, key to start hot goes to orange. Whoa! Same size yellow wire goes to neutral safety but the key is switching power to orange. Now I need a brain break and a print or I'm into opening up the wire harness and tracing wires. Sure could use some help. Thanks from Grayelve

Old 05-16-06, 08:44 PM
Hi All ... 50 looks is good ... no fix yet. Astro, I checked the wires at the starter and the fuses are good. Sure could use a print to trace these wires, anybody got one they could scan and email, need the wire colors. There sems as though there must be a common thing with this problen of no start, no power to neutral sfety switch, no power to heater fuse in fuse block, and the asb relay is not picking up. At the key there is one of 2 plugs that has heavy red, yellow, and orange wires. Red always hot, key on nothing on orange or yellow, key to start hot goes to orange. Whoa! Same size yellow wire goes to neutral safety but the key is switching power to orange. Now I need a brain break and a print or I'm into opening up the wire harness and tracing wires. Sure could use some help. Thanks from Grayelve
what size motor, so i can get a print for that type

Old 05-17-06, 09:00 AM
Grayelve
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
what size motor, so i can get a print for that type
Chevyastro4x4, This car is a 94 Caviliar RS with 3.1 multiport and auto trans. My email grayelve@localnet.com ... this is very much appreciated if this is doable. If your where I think you are, I used to live up on Rushmore Road going out of Rapid City. Good memories there. Thanks again. Grayelve
PS- I traded my 59 Rambler with a fellow there for his 57 Triumph TR3 and ended traveling most all over the country in it for a couple a few years. Just a little aside thought. grins_

Old 05-17-06, 09:27 AM
Chevyastro4x4, This car is a 94 Caviliar RS with 3.1 multiport and auto trans. My email grayelve@localnet.com ... this is very much appreciated if this is doable. If your where I think you are, I used to live up on Rushmore Road going out of Rapid City. Good memories there. Thanks again. Grayelve
PS- I traded my 59 Rambler with a fellow there for his 57 Triumph TR3 and ended traveling most all over the country in it for a couple a few years. Just a little aside thought. grins_
ya i live on the other side of SD, never been out to Rushmore yet

Old 05-17-06, 10:15 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Track down the neutral safety switch. If it moved a hair or if there is play due to age, it may fail to make contact and may simply need adjustment.

Old 05-23-06, 04:13 PM
Grayelve
Visiting Guest
Success ... it starts

Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
check the fuses by the starter, and the ign switch
Had to put this repair on the back burner for a little bit but finished it up today with the good help of cheyastro4x4. Ended up that the ignition switch was burned up from the starter being shorted out. Neutral safety switch survived the short. Again this is a good board with some savvy members and thank you.

Old 05-23-06, 06:31 PM
Had to put this repair on the back burner for a little bit but finished it up today with the good help of cheyastro4x4. Ended up that the ignition switch was burned up from the starter being shorted out. Neutral safety switch survived the short. Again this is a good board with some savvy members and thank you.

i'm glad i was able to help you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: