Wrong trans fluid in 95 Taurus...

Old 05-24-06, 09:24 AM
Wrong trans fluid in 95 Taurus...

My GF put a quart of Type F trans fluid into her 95 Taurus ("But it said Ford"). It was a quart low, but I cant figure out if this is worth a $100 trans service. Its only been driven about 2 miles since, and feels/smells fine to me, but... We havent had any transmission problems with it yet, and dont want to start now, but of course everyone I call says this is gonna kill the trans, but I have read online some people recommend putting Type F into tauruses with slipping transmissions to nurse more miles out of it. Hoping for an honest opinion.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by thebriang
My GF put a quart of Type F trans fluid into her 95 Taurus ("But it said Ford"). It was a quart low, but I cant figure out if this is worth a $100 trans service. Its only been driven about 2 miles since, and feels/smells fine to me, but... We havent had any transmission problems with it yet, and dont want to start now, but of course everyone I call says this is gonna kill the trans, but I have read online some people recommend putting Type F into tauruses with slipping transmissions to nurse more miles out of it. Hoping for an honest opinion.

You'll need a Tranny service sooner or later anyways, taurus are notorious for all kinds of problems Tranny being one of them, I'd go ahead and change filter on tranny ,refill with approved fluid, it can't hurt.

Old 05-24-06, 12:17 PM
might want to check out why it was a quart low in the first place must be leaking somewhere.
you should probably get it serviced it probably hasnt done any damage but has the potential to cause excessive wear on the clutches if you did nothing and just kept driving the car.