95 Neon Starter WONT disengage!!

Old 05-24-06, 07:03 PM
Exclamation 95 Neon Starter WONT disengage!!

I replaced the Starter and Reconnected all cables in the order they came off the bad unit. Turned on Vehicle and it started up fine! Only problem is that the Bendix (Starter Gear) Would not go back in! It will stay spinning until the car is shut off started it up again and again still the same Problem . The Starter is hot to the touch after its ran this way. Had the starter checked out and it ran fine on the bench bendix came out and went back when power was applied to it. This was never a problem with my old unit. What could be causing this? I checked for voltage on the Start Terminal Cable and have 12.5V when the key is in the start position then drops back to 0.0 when its released and the car is on and have 0.0 volts on the smaller red (R) cable on the opposite side of the Start Terminal Cable when the Key is in the Start position.

What is going on with this thing!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like the starter is powering off but the bendix is not disengaging from the flywheel. This can be caused by insufficient clearance. Did the old starter and/or replacement have shims? Likely what is needed. Check your installation instructions to see if it refers to checking clearance and/or adding shims.

Old 05-24-06, 07:28 PM
Thumbs down

Hey Tow,
Whats going on? The Old unit didn't come with any shims just took out the 2 bolts it came out and headed to Autozone. I've read those instructions over and over trying to find something i might have missed but nothin! Im going to pick up another unit tomorrow! Great Way to kick off this memorial day weekend!

Old 05-25-06, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
I did a quick Google on Neon starter shims when I posted but came up empty, so I don't now that you require any. What you describe certainly matches what a starter would be doing that had insufficient clearance, tho, although they don't generally stay engaged. Normally after the engine starts you get a "WEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound from the engine spinning the starter real fast, but then the starter will eventually disengage. Any chance they gave you the wrong starter?

Old 05-25-06, 07:07 AM
Thumbs down

Hey Tow,
I checked in with them today and had them check the core just to be sure it didnt have any and it didnt. Parts guy said that "On some of these remans they might require shims" I did a search on here and check about 80 pages on every starter question I could find but none mentioned shims on a dodge. Im going to pick up a set and give it a try and see what happens. Also have them double check the part number again they had a couple Part Numbers 17203, VC17203 they gave me a VC model maybe that will have something to do with it.
We'll see what happens

Old 05-25-06, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Could be the casting on the reman had enough wear to be a problem, but it would take quite a bit for it to really jam as bad as you describe. Don't know what else it could be unless it's not lining up properly, i.e. the starter shaft exactly perpendicular to the flywheel.

Old 05-25-06, 04:24 PM
Tow Whats Up!
I got that new starter put it in and it worked! Turns out i had a bad starter from the get go! Thanks for you help man!

Old 05-26-06, 05:00 AM
start

Ok gentleman, I replaced the started on my neon, I can't find for the life of me, were to place gound wires near the starter. I can't fine any place to attach it to. I can start the car by jumping it but it will not start on it's own. the lights and everything work fine, just can't start. it just clicks. please help for a quicker response please call xxx-xxx-xxxx ask for Mike thats

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 05-26-06 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-26-06, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Could you tell anything visually, i.e. either just the wrong starter or excessive wear on the faulty one?

Okay, jsali030, you just did this; help micschn out.

Old 05-26-06, 05:03 AM
the starter looks the same it went right in i just can't find were the ground, black wire with a metal circle on the end

Old 05-26-06, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Your posts are getting cut off. Try reposting with all details. Are you sure the wire in question doesn't simply go on one of the starter mounting bolts?

Old 05-26-06, 06:03 AM
micschn,

Whats goin on? There isnt an exact location to place the ground. THe ground on my neon is directly from the Neg Battery post to bolt head facing the passenger side so order everything is connected is Bolt Head->"black wire with a metal circle on the end"->Starter Mounting Hole->Transmission Starter mount hole.

Also as a precaution grab some sand paper and sand all of your contacts down so that they're a brass looking.

Hope this was of some help man!