parking brake!

Old 05-25-06, 08:24 AM
parking brake!

I got a problem with the parking brake, the pedal got stuck and I can't takit out. My car is a pontiac bonnevile 1999. The brake is the one that you use your foot to release it. Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-06, 05:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your foot to release it?

You sure? I am 'old school', but I thought the ones in the center console had the pull back to lock; push button in end of lever to disengage...and the footpedal models had a t-handle release that was under the dash, above the parking brake footpedal, that you would pull on to release the ratcheting emergency foot brake.

Old 05-25-06, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
Your foot to release it?

You sure? I am 'old school', but I thought the ones in the center console had the pull back to lock; push button in end of lever to disengage...and the footpedal models had a t-handle release that was under the dash, above the parking brake footpedal, that you would pull on to release the ratcheting emergency foot brake.
Nope, my 96 GS is a push-the-pedal to apply/release the brake, I believe this is common in GM cars with 4 wheel disc brakes.

@ccmarnaj: Try to push the pedal a little farther if you can, it might just be stuck. Otherwise, it could be hung up at a number of points from lack of lubrication. This includes checking the right side and left side rear cables, the front cable and it's connector and the equalizer. It's quite possible that one of the
cables has seized internally from either rust or the strands breaking and catching inside.

Christopher

Old 05-25-06, 07:30 PM
nap
Do you use the park brake regularly?

If not, I think ChristopherT may have hit it on the head.

The cables tend to stick if the brake is not used regularly. In my area, they are a use it or lose it thing.

Now on the older models with 4 wheel disc. the calipers also had a problem with sticking park brakes and slide pins that froze solid. I think they cured that but not sure.

Old 05-25-06, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by nap
Do you use the park brake regularly?

If not, I think ChristopherT may have hit it on the head.

Now on the older models with 4 wheel disc. the calipers also had a problem with sticking park brakes and slide pins that froze solid. I think they cured that but not sure.
I swore when they switched to four wheel disc brakes on the
"W" body cars I'd never buy one based on all the problems they
had early on with the rear brakes. I'm glad when the chance
to buy mine came along I took it. It's been excellent in that
regard and I've never had one problem with the brakes, even
living in the snowbelt.

Christopher

Old 05-25-06, 07:55 PM
nap
Originally Posted by ChristopherT
I swore when they switched to four wheel disc brakes on the
"W" body cars I'd never buy one based on all the problems they
had early on with the rear brakes. I'm glad when the chance
to buy mine came along I took it. It's been excellent in that
regard and I've never had one problem with the brakes, even
living in the snowbelt.

Christopher
Glad to hear they actually did fix the problems. I have installed countless slide bushing kits in the "w"'s. It was something GM should have been taking care of (as a TSB or even as recall) but as far as I know, they never did.

You could just about guarantee that any w that came in needed two rear calipers, two rear discs, and very possibly e-brake cables. It is really sad when you can diagnose the car before it comes in.

It also caused the fronts to wear out very prematurely due to the lack of braking in the rear when they froze up.

Old 05-25-06, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by nap
Glad to hear they actually did fix the problems. I have installed countless slide bushing kits in the "w"'s. It was something GM should have been taking care of (as a TSB or even as recall) but as far as I know, they never did.

It also caused the fronts to wear out very prematurely due to the lack of braking in the rear when they froze up.
It's usually a build up of brake dust on the front wheels that tells me it's time to check the back brakes. I do all my own brake work and I've never seen a situation where the car started nose diving or getting a really soft pedal, even when the pads were worn quite a bit. Parking brake cables are the same way, if you don't use them on a regular basis they are going to stop working!

Christopher

Old 05-25-06, 08:49 PM
Another thing to check.....

Look near the floor where the clicking sounds come from when you engage the brake....the part that has teeth like a gear. You may be able to manually release a lever that is holding the brake pedal down if you apply a little pressure on the pedal. You might find the cause of the problem at the same time, perhaps a spring came loose.

Old 05-26-06, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by jeff67
Another thing to check.....

Look near the floor where the clicking sounds come from when you engage the brake....the part that has teeth like a gear. You may be able to manually release a lever that is holding the brake pedal down if you apply a little pressure on the pedal. You might find the cause of the problem at the same time, perhaps a spring came loose.
Sort of like how one takes the tension off the belt on an appliance dolly...or releasing tension on a come-a-long.