94 camry tranny problem

Old 05-25-06, 05:40 PM
94 camry tranny problem

I have a í94 Camry with 105k. I planned on keeping the car another 2 years until some recent problems. About a month ago I noticed the car kind of shuttered when I drove in reverse. And when I gave it some gas it would move at only half speed. So I bought it to a local Toyota dealer for a diagnosis today.

Unfortunately they said the transmission is going. They have a tranny that has 57k on it and they can install it for $2k. Do you have any idea how much longer the tranny can last in this condition? Will it get progressively worse? It sounds fine when it drops into gear and it shows no signs of problems when in drive. I put very few miles on the car, maybe 5k a year, and would like it to go another 2 years but donít want to put in the new tranny.

Also, they said one of the CV boots is cracked and leaking grease and a front bearing is starting to make noise. Do you think the car could go another 2 years/10k without fixing these? Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-06, 09:14 PM
well, i dont know about the tranny, but i would advise replacing the boot and repacking it. When you get a cracked boot, its better to replace it right away then have to replace the cv too

Old 05-26-06, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
I think I would also run away from anyone wanting to sell me a 57k used tranny for 2 grand. Get a couple of estimates from reputable independent tranny shops; I think you may find you can have yours repaired or overhauled for under $2k. Actually a tranny failure on a Camry would be pretty rare; very reliable unit. They are capable of going 200k miles with proper care. Do you keep it serviced and when was the last time?

Yes it will get progressively worse, but there is no way of telling how fast or when it will ventually stop going in reverse, if ever.

Agree with zzzz; get the cv fixed. Also the bearing which would be done same time at little or no additional labor charge. Replacing the boot is an option, but the best fix is to replace the shaft as an assembly.

Old 05-26-06, 05:23 AM
I did speak to an independent tranny shop and they quoted me about $2k. I had the tranny serviced around 60k and was going to have it done this spring. Guess I should have had the fluid changed earlier.

Thanks for the advice on CV boot/bearing. I'll get those fixed too.

Old 05-26-06, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
I happened to be dropping at one of the major tranny chains this morning and brought the subject up. They said less than $2k would be a stretch; more like $22-2300. My point was $2k for a tranny with 57,000 miles on it sounded pretty steep when you could basically get yours rebuilt for about the same amount of money. What kind of warranty were they going to give you on it?

Wouldn't hurt to hang loose until after you get it serviced as there is a remote chance it could improve. I don't remember what the Toyota interval is, but I change the fluid on ours every 25k miles. Our last Camry ('95) left us with 175k miles on the odometer and still running strong.

P.S. Don't let anyone charge you for a "filter" when you get the tranny serviced; it has a cleanable screen.