Shaky steering wheel

Old 05-26-06, 08:49 AM
kasha
Visiting Guest
Shaky steering wheel

Hi!
I have a 1999 Nissan Quest (minivan) with 105000 miles on it. It has all new recently balanced tires. The steering wheel is shaking some times when I go on long trips (200 miles each way). I could not see any particular pattern. When it starts shaking I have to go below 50 mph for some distance and then I can go in regular speed. This is happening on and off. Some times, even when I go on longer trips (450 miles each way) its not shaking. I am totally clue less about what is happening. Please advise at your soonest possible convenience as I have to go on one more trip and I really can't afford a rental car being a student . I would rather spend the same money (if I have to) fixing the problem rather than renting.

Thanks for your time,

Old 05-26-06, 09:00 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tie rod end

jack up the front end and grab the front tires at 3 and 9 o'clock and try to wiggle(alternately push on one side while pulling on the other). You should feel no play. If you do, or one side is noticably worse, you found a bad tie rod end or ends or maybe a bad or loose steering rack.

get it fixed. it will cost less than your four new tires

Old 05-26-06, 11:28 AM
kasha
Visiting Guest
Thank you Paebees!

I will try your advise today. Once again I really appreciate your time and advice.

Old 05-26-06, 01:48 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would also have the balance rechecked. It's possible that you lost a weght.

Old 05-26-06, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recheck tires balance again, by the way, have you put any stop leak in the tire?. if so, take it to the shop, unseat the tire and check for water inside the tire.

Old 05-26-06, 02:49 PM
kasha
Visiting Guest
Thank you GOLDSTAR & NEW GUY

I will do as you suggested. I really appreciate your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: