Mercury Tracer stuck in 4th gear

Old 05-27-06, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mercury Tracer stuck in 4th gear

Hello. I have a 1987 Mercury Tracer. It has a standard transmission and for some reason it will not shift out of fourth gear. I was driving it and everything seemed fine but when I tried to switch out of fourth the shifter would not move. I've tried disconnecting the shifter underneath to see if the problem is there, but everything moves ok if it's not connected to the transmission. The clutch seems to work normally, but I'm not positive. If I push the clutch in the car will roll backwards. Otherwise it's stuck in fourth.

Does the car need a new transmission or is there something else wrong? A friend says he thinks it's the "gearbox", but I don't know enough about it to know for sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-06, 03:34 PM
nap
You wren't hot rodding or being abusive to the car by chance?

If the clutch disengages and you can move the shifter linkage independently of the transmission, it sounds as you may have damaged something inside the transmission (gearbox) itself. Something may have broken or if you wre abusive, you may have bent a shift fork inside the trans. It sounds like this is a rebuild/replace job.

Old 05-27-06, 04:40 PM
internal

It sure sounds like internal damage to me.Not a clutch problem maybe a broken syncro or some other internal problem.

Old 05-27-06, 11:58 PM
Sometimes when the shifter parts start to wear you can get a trany stuck in gear and the shifter is in neutral. Because the shifter doesn't pull it out of gear then you shift. You can take the shifter off and with a screw driver shift the trany back into neutral, and fix the problem.