Mazda Protege5 Brake Light Stays On

Old 05-27-06, 11:20 AM
Mazda Protege5 Brake Light Stays On

Hello. I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5. The emergency break light on the dash comes on at random times while I'm driving and then turns off randomly. Some times it stays on for a long time and other times it's just for a couple of seconds. This happens even if I've not touched the breaks.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-06, 11:51 AM
Have your front brakes inspected as it sounds like your brake fluid is low. How many miles on the car? Dont wait too long as this is dangerous. I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Om

Old 05-27-06, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Canada4Life
Some times it stays on for a long time and other times it's just for a couple of seconds. This happens even if I've not touched the breaks.
Any suggestions?
I'm going to hazard a guess that the switch for the light is either loose or broken. Is it the main brake light that comes on? That
switch is almost always located on the back of the brake pedal under the dash. Is it a seperate emergency/parking brake light
and if so is there a pedal to active it or a pull up handle?

Christopher

Old 05-27-06, 03:31 PM
nap
It is hard to be exact because I am not familiar with this particular car.
Dash brake lights are used to indicate several things.
1. e-brake on or partially on
2.low brake fluid in resevoir
3. an imbalance in the pressure in the two sides of the split hydraulic system.

If the brakes are working fine, I doubt it is #3.

#2. Check the fluid in the resevoir (under the hood). If it is low, top it off (to the indicated level) with dot 3 brake fluid. This is a normal condition as the front brakes wear, additional fluid is reaquired at the calipers to "fill in" behind the caliper piston as it moves outward. As another poster stated, you might want to get your brakes checked to be sure they are not worn too far.

and for #1, when the light is on, push the brake lever all the way down (this is one between the seats, correct?)If the light goes off, the e-brake cables may have frozen and your e-brake is not releaseing all the way. If this is the case, the rear brakes and e-brake system should be inspected.

It actually sounds like the low fluid situation though. A you move the car around, the float that activates the light will go up and down. If the fluid is right at the limit of turning the light on, this will cause the light to be intermittantly on and off.