O2 sensers bad?

Old 05-28-06, 05:35 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
O2 sensers bad?

I have a98 mustang 6 cylander.

I have a 98 mustang 6 cylander. Ceck engine light came on. Diagnostic showed O2 sensers. Would changing the sensers fix the problem? Or are they a symptom?

Old 05-28-06, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by krankyoleman
I have a98 mustang 6 cylander.

I have a 98 mustang 6 cylander. Ceck engine light came on. Diagnostic showed O2 sensers. Would changing the sensers fix the problem? Or are they a symptom?

If it doesn't misfire and is still running good ( no black smoke no burning too much gas ) it is probably just a bad sensor , diagnostics made when those popular scanners are good but a little vague sometimes, however oxygen sensor do go out after that many years so I'd replace them.

Old 05-29-06, 03:36 PM
K
It doesn't smoke. It miss fires and uses to much gas.

Old 05-29-06, 04:13 PM
It doesn't smoke. It miss fires and uses to much gas.

You should have mention that in your first post, anyways, you want to fix misfiring first to prevent future damage to engine parts, start by checking spark plug wires for cracks or spark going to ground , try to locate cylinder misfiring, check spark plug, coil pack for that particular cylinder if equipped.
A bad oxygen sensor will usually cause a failed smog test and maybe mpg going down a bit but not too much more.

Old 05-29-06, 07:36 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ceck engine light came on. Diagnostic showed O2 sensers. Would changing the sensers fix the problem? Or are they a symptom?
You need to post up the exact code
There are many "O2 sensor codes" that do not mean the O2 is bad
In fact, most O2 sensor codes are, as you said, just a symptom, and not an indication of an O2 gone bad

What was the code?

Also the mileage please

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: