1996-MercuryCougarXR7-AutoTransmission

Old 05-28-06, 08:26 AM
1996-MercuryCougarXR7-AutoTransmission

Hi,

I have a 1996-MercuryCougarXR7-AutoTransmission. I have a couple of problems here:

1. The check engine light glows on ignition, and remains off till ignition is turned off. The light remains on, all the while when the engine is running.
--- I tried to read previous posts on this forum and found that I could go to an autozone and get the DTC codes for free. Here are the codes that I found:
P0171 and P0174-- the owner was kind enough to tell me what this means-
a. Problem with the sensor mass air flow (duno what it means)
b. Oxygen sensor defect.
c. Ignition misfire.
d. Fuel Injection problem
-- I am not sure these are accurate but this is what the person told me.

2. I get a check airbag light on when I give ignition, and dissapears when I actually start the engine. I can also see a small flap on my windshield which says "driver side air bag".

Other than the above 2 problems my car runs pretty smoothly.
I have used it only for a 100 miles though(Just got it)..

Please advise....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-06, 09:09 AM
nap
1. The check engine light glows on ignition, and remains off till ignition is turned off. The light remains on, all the while when the engine is running.
a bit confusing here. but Ill try what I can

a. Problem with the sensor mass air flow (duno what it means)
That little guy measure the amount of air flowing through your intake manifold. If it is bad, the computer control of the engine cannot work correctly. It may be bad but there are other things that need to be checked before it is replaced unless you want to just throw the money at it with the hope it is actually the problem.
b. Oxygen sensor defect.
A little guy in your exhaust pipe that measures the gasses in the exhaust. It too works for the computer control of your engine. It is not uncommon to replace these so I would go ahead and do this if capable but you should fix the other stuff before or at the same time. They can be fouled by exccessive unburned gas in your exhaust and it sounds like you do have other problems that may have caused this situation.
c. Ignition misfire.
This could have a multitude of causes. It may also be to blame for the bad oxygen sensor or it's reading. The following injector problem may be the casue of this problem but there are other possibilities as well.
d. Fuel Injection problem
here, again, it merely relates a general problem. Without further testing, it could me a myriad of reasons behind this code and it too may be the cause of some of the other codes.

2. I get a check airbag light on when I give ignition, and dissapears when I actually start the engine. I can also see a small flap on my windshield which says "driver side air bag".
Sounds normal. The lights light when starting the car to verify they are working as well as some systems have an automatic system check each time the car is started as well. Sounds like this is the case here.

A big reason to repair the above problems is that when they are not workin correctly they can allow excessive amounts of unburned fuel to enter your exhaust system. This will of course cause you to fail an emmissions test but it can also damage your catalytic converter causing you additional expense.

Not to be demeaning in any way but it sounds as you may be in over your head in trying to diagnose the problems you have. They may or may not be big problems. The computer codes only give a general system failure and are only one tool in the diagnosis and repair of your car. The technician is the most important tool in that toolbox. S/he will use the info you have and check multiple possibilities to determine what the actual problem is.

Without some of the knowledge and training the techs of today have, it can be difficult to accurately diagnose the cars of today. While not cheap, it may be more cost effective to have a trained tech take a look at your car rather than just tossing money at it and still possibly not fixing the problem.

But if you want to try, those here will help you all they can.

Old 05-29-06, 09:23 AM
Hi,

Thanks a ton for the advice. I am a complete newbie to this and was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimates of the kind of costs I could be looking at?

Thanks.

Old 05-29-06, 09:29 AM
nap
Sorry I can't help you there. I haven't had the need for a garage too much (knock on wood) and have no real idea as to current rates.

Hopefully one of the other folks will have some advice on this.

Old 05-29-06, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Here's the actual info. P0174 is the same for Bank 2:

P0171 - System too Lean : The Adaptive Fuel : For lean and rich :
: (Bank 1) : Strategy continuously : DTCs: :
: : monitors fuel delivery : * Fuel system :
: : hardware. The test : * Excessive fuel :
: : fails when the : pressure. :
: : adaptive fuel tables : * Leaking :
: : reach a rich : /contaminated fuel :
: : calibrated limit. : injectors. :
: : : * Leaking fuel :
: : : pressure regulator. :
: : : * Low fuel pressure :
: : : or running out of :
: : : fuel. :
: : : * Vapor recovery :
: : : system. :
: : : * Induction system: :
: : : - Air leaks after :
: : : the MAF. :
: : : - Vacuum Leaks. :
: : : - PCV system. :
: : : - Improperly seated :
: : : engine oil :
: : : dipstick. :
: : : * EGR system: :
: : : - Leaking gasket. :
: : : - Stuck EGR valve. :
: : : - Leaking diaphragm :
: : : or EVR. :
: : : * Base Engine: :
: : : - Oil overfill. :
: : : - Cam timing. :
: : : - Cylinder :
: : : compression. :
: : : - Exhaust leaks :
: : : before or near :
: : : the HO2Ss. :

A little hard to read the cut & paster, but you can see there is a long laundry list of possible problems.

Here's some better info:
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...gen-sensor.php

Old 05-31-06, 09:39 AM
Hey Thanks a ton.

I read whats on the obd-codes site and will try to fix it myself.

Thanks again.

Gautam

Old 09-06-06, 12:30 AM
4.6 Or 3.8 ?