2000 Toyota Corolla LX-oxygen sensor

Old 05-28-06, 05:10 PM
Unhappy 2000 Toyota Corolla LX-oxygen sensor

My check engine light came on and I took it to autozone for the free check engine light test. The test they said showed that I have a bad oxygen sensor...However, they said the machine did not show which one?...The man said I have two on the car....I priced the sensors and was told that the plug in kind had to be ordered from the factory, vs. the one with the wires that you must really know how to do....My question is this...Being a female...and having dabbled some on cars...not because of WANT...but because of HAVE to...If I buy a sensor with the wires...which is so much cheaper...is it that hard to do?...and HOW??? Also...since I don't know which sensor is bad...will the same sensor work on either one? Hope some of this makes sense...and someone can help me with the questions..
P.S...I saw where someone had said you need a special tool to remove these????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-06, 07:22 PM
I've never replace an oxygen sensor so I hope you get more answers here, but from what I've seen they're not harder to replace than a spark plug is, problem maybe getting to it, you may need to crawl under car.
As for which one is the bad one , unless you take it to dealership for an accurate diagnostic ( they'll charge you about $ 100 ) I don't see any other way to know, I'd suggest buy one first and go from there, some people will clean them out and reinstall but I don't think is a good idea especially if they're hard to get to...

Old 05-29-06, 06:56 PM
re: oxygen sensor 2000 toyota corolla

After reading several post under oxygen sensors...I saw that there could possibly be other problems besides the oxygen sensors, and that a lot of times everyone ask what code number showed on machine...I took the car again today to autozone and they ran the check again...the code was P0171...lean bank? I also had a friend who knows some about cars..he asked if I had trouble cranking or going up hills?...I told him that I do have some trouble cranking...hesitates, and sometimes have to retry..and also...when trying to climb a steep hill...it will hesitate and not want to accelerate to a higher speed...like a turtle...until I reach the top...He said he does not really think it is the oxygen sensors...but perhaps the catalystic convertor? Any ideas?...help?...I hate to spend money on unnecessary things..

Old 05-29-06, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Razmusen
After reading several post under oxygen sensors...I saw that there could possibly be other problems besides the oxygen sensors, and that a lot of times everyone ask what code number showed on machine...I took the car again today to autozone and they ran the check again...the code was P0171...lean bank? I also had a friend who knows some about cars..he asked if I had trouble cranking or going up hills?...I told him that I do have some trouble cranking...hesitates, and sometimes have to retry..and also...when trying to climb a steep hill...it will hesitate and not want to accelerate to a higher speed...like a turtle...until I reach the top...He said he does not really think it is the oxygen sensors...but perhaps the catalystic convertor? Any ideas?...help?...I hate to spend money on unnecessary things..

well again this info should have been in your first post..now the cranking problem could be a batt going bad or a bad starter or do you mean it cranks but hesitates to start ?
If code says which bank start by checking plug wires and change spark plug on that bank, go from there, also check or change condition of air filter, pcv valve, fuel filter.
Cat converters do get bad and get clogged but they're expensive depending on model if I was you I'd take it to dealership for a pinpoint accurate diagnostic, after they do it you pay for it but you dont have to fix it there.
Toyota people know best.

Search this Thread