1983 chevy van master cylinder replacement

Old 05-29-06, 12:06 PM
1983 chevy van master cylinder replacement

I have a great van that I use frequently to move custom furniture, and that I need badly. Recently, the master cylinder gave out and the brakes are shot. I have a significant set of tools and a basic knowledge of cars. Is this something I can tackle with a chiltons guide or does this sort of repare require a licenced mechanic.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and happy memorial day
Jackson 100

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-06, 12:21 PM
nap
Originally Posted by jackson100
I have a great van that I use frequently to move custom furniture, and that I need badly. Recently, the master cylinder gave out and the brakes are shot. I have a significant set of tools and a basic knowledge of cars. Is this something I can tackle with a chiltons guide or does this sort of repare require a licenced mechanic.

Jackson 100
If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to handle something like this. There are a lot of tips and tricks you do not have knowledge of so some things will be harder than others.

I don't remember if the master cyl you have is one of GM's that you can easily damage when bench bleeding (read about the procedure in Chilton's e.g. manual) so when you bench bleed the thing, do not just shove the piston in as far as you can. Be gentle and patient. Short strokes are the safest.

The other area of trouble is the bleeders at the wheel cylinders and calipers. Some will recommend not to worry about complete system bleeding but you should bleed the entire sysytem when changing the master cylinder.

The bleeder screws have a tendancy to freeze and may break when trying to open them. I would suggest spraying them with a product like "Rust Buster" or some other penetrating solvent daily for several days before attempting to open them at all.

Post back with specific questions and we'll help you all we can. Being general would take several pages to give you all the advice I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 05-29-06, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by jackson100

Jackson 100

Well in answer to your question it definetely requires a licensed mechanic to work on it, but, you may try to fix it yourself too.
If you're running your own business and are busy fixing or building furniture I'd say let a professional do it , shop around and get quotes, rent a van in the meantime to move the furniture, unless you have too much time on your hands I don't think is worth DIY since you don't have the expertise and will take away time from your trade too thus costing money anyways.

Old 05-29-06, 05:36 PM
Thanks Nap

I appriciate the insight. I'll be getting my ducks in a row, to give it a run next weekend.

Jackson100

Old 05-29-06, 05:44 PM
Thanks Nap

I appriciate the insight. I'll be getting my ducks in a row, to give it a run next weekend, and most definately will be posting questions as they arise. Thanks again.

Jackson100

Old 05-30-06, 02:53 AM
How did you diagnose the master cylinder? And what are the symptoms of "shot" brakes?