milky tranny fluid.

Old 05-29-06, 06:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
milky tranny fluid.

Transmission fluid looks like a milkshake. Radiator fluid is the same. I guess that the transmission fluid sprung a leak where it is cooled in the lower radiator? I noticed this when my tranny started slipping. Drove about one mile in that condition and then had it towed. 1991 Caddy Deville. Did I kill my tranny? I'm thinking of replacing the radiator and having the tranny flushed and refilled. Also having the engine flushed. How does this sound?
Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-06, 06:15 PM
Z
well, i would recommend one of the transmission fluid changes that changes all of the fluid, perhaps followed up with a filter change a week or two later. I am personally not a fan of using any of the flush chemicals.

As for the coolent, i would recommend a good flush with water. your coolent is not nearly as much of a problem when contaminated as your oil or tranny fluid.

Old 05-29-06, 07:06 PM
If there's coolant in the trans, It did some damage... I would have a flush done on the trans. If it works good, a couple thousand miles down the road, another..... antifreeze likes to stick around and of course, it doesn't have any lubrication to it. It causes alot more wear.

If no antifreeze got in the engine. Don't flush the engine... most quick flushes are kerosene anyway..... useless and if they do knock a chunk or two bits of sludge, it could clog the oil pump pickup. If antifreeze got in the engine. A few (4 or 5) cheap oil changes will insure its out. (maybe 500 to 1,000 miles each)

If transfluid got in the radiator. Well a simple water flush won't remove it all, but a few might get most of it.

Old 05-29-06, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by cane_prevost
Transmission fluid looks like a milkshake. Radiator fluid is the same. I guess that the transmission fluid sprung a leak where it is cooled in the lower radiator? I noticed this when my tranny started slipping. Drove about one mile in that condition and then had it towed. 1991 Caddy Deville. Did I kill my tranny? I'm thinking of replacing the radiator and having the tranny flushed and refilled. Also having the engine flushed. How does this sound?
Thanks much!

Good idea you can get a rebuilt rad really cheap with core exchange, flush both rad and tranny completely, those quick lube shops have all the equipment to do both also at cheap prices.

Old 05-29-06, 10:45 PM
C
Thanks for the replies. I think i'll give it a go. I'm thinking replace radiator, flush thoroughly, then tow to shop for tranny flush. I'm hoping since I caught it right away that it didn't do too much dammage. Am I right in assuming that the offending part is located in the radiator and a radiator change will replace that part?

Old 05-30-06, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by cane_prevost
Thanks for the replies. I think i'll give it a go. I'm thinking replace radiator, flush thoroughly, then tow to shop for tranny flush. I'm hoping since I caught it right away that it didn't do too much dammage. Am I right in assuming that the offending part is located in the radiator and a radiator change will replace that part?

I think new rad will fix problem, if I were I'd flush cooling system before connecting hoses to new rad, why get all the bad stuff in new radiator ?
Mount new radiator in and take it to shop for both cooling and tranny complete flushes, or try to vaccum cooling system with one of those shop vac machines

Old 05-30-06, 07:44 PM
C
I'm thinking of flushing with the radiator off. I may remove the tstat and put a hose down there and run the engine awhile. Is that going to be OK? Will the cold water give any problems?
Thanks!

Old 06-03-06, 12:59 PM
C
cprevost
Visiting Guest
Follow Up:
I removed the radiator and thermostat. Did most of the flush with the engine off. This got most everything out. Did about 15 minutes of flush with the engine running, garden hose in radiator hose. Not much more came out. Pulled car to aamco. Guy said there was nothing in the tranny. No fluid or water. Not sure where all the fluid went. Must have dumped out when I drove. aamco flushed out the tranny and changed the filter. Seems to run fine. No noise or slips etc. keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice.