1995 Toyota Camry V6 Wagon - Change Timing Belt

Old 05-29-06, 06:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1995 Toyota Camry V6 Wagon - Change Timing Belt

1995 Toyota Camry V6 Wagon, 69K. I followed Haynes' repair manual to change timing belt. I got stuck on taking off drivebelts (alternator and power steering) before going further. Haynes' manual said loose "pivot bolt" (has picture attached in the manual) to loosen the alternator belt. I even took off this bolt, but the alternator belt is still like not loose at all. Not even a bit! Is there any trick to loose alternator belt? I also went to Autozone.com to see the instruction. It says loose the bolts to loosen the power steering drive belt. However, it doesn't mention anything about removing outer alternator belt first. What are correct steps to remove these belts? Do I need special tools to remove these belts? Thanks!

Old 05-30-06, 02:32 PM
D
Any help or suggestion is highly appreciate! Thanks in advance!

Old 05-30-06, 08:14 PM
Be sure to check all around the alternator. Most alternators I've had the pleasure [?] to work with have at least 2 bolts - the pivot bolt which is where the alternator connects to the engine bracket and another which adjusts the swing & tension on the alternator. They are usually opposite each other.

Old 05-31-06, 02:51 PM
D
Originally Posted by elgrandekazoo
and another which adjusts the swing & tension on the alternator. They are usually opposite each other.
Thanks for the replied! Is this bolt hard to reach and need a special tool?

Old 06-02-06, 01:06 PM
D
Any other suggestions and/or comments? Thanks!

Old 06-02-06, 07:14 PM
The attaching bolts are either 14mm or 12mm and can easily be accessed with a wrench or socket and ratchet. The pivot is going to be running at a different angle than the attaching bolts. Look along the top side (away from the engine) of the alternator and see if you see a small head bolt (either 10mm or 12mm) that is running parallel to the drive belt. Loosen that bolt and the alternator will pivot back toward the engine relieving the slack on the belt.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 06-02-06, 07:48 PM
T
most Toyota alternators have 3 bolts. the pivot is usually 14mm, the tension bolt is usually 12mm then on the end of the tension bracket is a puller bolt to pull the alt tight. loosen the pivot and tension bolts, then back off the puller bolt till the belt is loose.

Old 06-05-06, 02:02 PM
D
Thanks elgrandekazoo, billys68ss, and towman501! I finally got alternator belt off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: