98 Voyager cooling

Old 05-31-06, 06:29 AM
98 Voyager cooling

98 plymouth. Water keeps building up and leaking inside of the van. When you pull the passenger side hose (under the windsheild wipers), water pours out of the fire wall. Where is this water coming from and how do you get it not to build up? When you turn on the defroster, water shoots onto the inside windsheild.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-06, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff B
98 plymouth. Water keeps building up and leaking inside of the van. When you pull the passenger side hose (under the windsheild wipers), water pours out of the fire wall. Where is this water coming from and how do you get it not to build up? When you turn on the defroster, water shoots onto the inside windsheild.
You don't mention if the A/C works or not, if it does then one of the by-products of a normally functioning AC system is condensation (water) and lots of it. Park the van in a parking lot and set the controls for Max AC Cold. While the van is running, look underneath the van near the firewall and see if you see a stream of water dripping from the AC drain. If not, then the drain is probably clogged and needs cleaning out. It's usually a soft rubber hose that hangs down. In most cases it can be pulled out and cleaned or it may be held by a clamp.

If the A/C doesn't work and a clogged drain is not the source of the water, then you need to look at all the seals around the windshield, around the steering column and anywhere else there might be a opening for water to get through the firewall. Look for a bad gasket around the various HVAC components (like the evaporator or heater core) that might be mounted through the firewall.

Christopher

Old 05-31-06, 07:54 AM
AC works

Thanks for the responce. The AC does work, even thought this weekend at times it would quit for a few minutes before it would kick in again. When I do pull the hose off like you recomended, water comes flowing out of the firewall. Why does the water leak in side of the van? It is coming out underneath the dash by the gas pedel?

JB

Old 05-31-06, 07:59 AM
the evaporator drain hose would be what he was reffering to if the hose is clogged the water will back up and eventually leak into the passenger/ driver compartment next time you have the hose off check it to see if its clogged.

Old 05-31-06, 08:13 AM
Jb

This is what is frustrating. I have check the hose and it is not clogged. I even left the hose off and water continues to drip out of the opening in the fire wall. When I re-attach the hose, water builds up in the cavity in the firewall. Is there any other hose that could be clogged? Also, why the build up when it has not rained?

Old 05-31-06, 08:32 AM
if your sure its just water and not antifreeze it is just condensation from the a/c evaporator the hose may need to be replaced if it is callapsed or maybe you can figure out a way to keep it open believe it needs the hose on or it will drip water on the belt.

Old 05-31-06, 09:09 AM
Jb

That may explain why my I have to keep replacing the belt once a week. (warrantied) It will stop squeaking for a day or so and then it squeaks until a new belt is put on. Trying to figure this mess out too.
I am assuming that water and a serpantine belt do not mix well?

Old 05-31-06, 11:39 AM
That may explain why my I have to keep replacing the belt once a week. (warrantied) It will stop squeaking for a day or so and then it squeaks until a new belt is put on. Trying to figure this mess out too.
I am assuming that water and a serpantine belt do not mix well?
No, water (or coolant) and serpentine belts do not mix at all! I think part of the problem might be the design of your evaporator housing. It sounds like there might be something inside the housing that can collect only so much condensation before it gets into the A/C system.

You might try taking off the hose and feeling around the inside of the opening for any hard water deposits or debris that might be in there. Check the hose, see if it's one of the flexible ones or if it's fairly stiff like a heater hose. The flexible ones can have a crimp on the end to keep material from entering the hose (rain or insects?)

That crimp is supposed to be pliable enough to open up with the wieght of the water, but it some cases the heat under the car can stiffen them up so they will open if you handle them but not if there is water in them. I think you have the problem pretty much nailed down, it's an AC drain issue and that's why the build-up occurs when it's
not been raining.

Christopher

Old 06-12-06, 02:51 PM
Second drain hose

Is there a second drain hose under the van somewhere? I have looked a couple of time and do not find one.
I do have the soft type hose coming out from under the windshield basin. If I leave it attached to the tubing coming out of the firewall, it really backs up in side of the van.

Old 06-12-06, 07:48 PM
Is there a second drain hose under the van somewhere? I have looked a couple of time and do not find one.
I do have the soft type hose coming out from under the windshield basin. If I leave it attached to the tubing coming out of the firewall, it really backs up in side of the van.
There shouldn't be. Typically the water coming off the windshield has it's own path to use, generally via the fenders. It sounds like the soft type hose is the evaporator drain. Try leaving it off the tubing and see what happens.

Christopher

Search this Thread