1990 Buick Skylark Tranny and Oil leak Question

Old 05-31-06, 10:18 AM
1990 Buick Skylark Tranny and Oil leak Question

Hey everyone,
I have a skylark with automatic transmission and am having a couple of problems.

The first is that it is having problems shifting into drive from park. Reverse works fine but when i shift into drive it sits like it is in neutral. If i hit the gas it revs. I've found that if i gas it to high rpms it jumps into gear but it is annoying and scary cause i really have to rev it up. ANy suggestions on diagnosing the problem and are there any quick fixes?

Two, i have a leak in my oil pan that is spurting out oil droplets. Is there any good patching agents out there that I could just grab at a auto store. I know exactly where the leak is and Want to stop it without having to replace the whole pan.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-06, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by UnivOfPittBull
Hey everyone,
I have a skylark with automatic transmission and am having a couple of problems.

The first is that it is having problems shifting into drive from park. Reverse works fine but when i shift into drive it sits like it is in neutral. If i hit the gas it revs. I've found that if i gas it to high rpms it jumps into gear but it is annoying and scary cause i really have to rev it up. ANy suggestions on diagnosing the problem and are there any quick fixes?

Two, i have a leak in my oil pan that is spurting out oil droplets. Is there any good patching agents out there that I could just grab at a auto store. I know exactly where the leak is and Want to stop it without having to replace the whole pan.

Thanks

If oil pan is just cracked you can take it out and clean real good with gasoline then use an epoxy sealer on it, both sides or have a welder fix cracks.
Are you sure is not oil pan gasket ? it could be main rear seal on engine too...
On the Tranny no no quick fixes that I know of, it does sound like you'll have to either get it rebuilt or get another one with exchange...I don't know too much about trannys but when they start slipping or not engaging most of the time is an internal problem.

Old 05-31-06, 12:25 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks
It sounds like your torque converter might be going and you have to get the rpms up higher until there's finally enough pressure built up to get the tranny side of the converter
moving. That's not a good situation, eventually it won't run at all. Have you checked to see if the tranny fluid is clean and up to the full mark? Has the filter been changed? (I'm assuming you have the 4 speed automatic FWD, 3.1 liter V6?)

Unfortunately there are no quick fixes for the transmission.

Christopher

Old 05-31-06, 01:36 PM
First Thanks for the replies. Yeah i checked the fluid level and color and it looks good. Any ideas on how long the tranny will last before it goes?? (i only need the car for 2 more months) and does anyone know of any other ways i can get it to jump into gear?

Old 05-31-06, 04:45 PM
First Thanks for the replies. Yeah i checked the fluid level and color and it looks good. Any ideas on how long the tranny will last before it goes?? (i only need the car for 2 more months) and does anyone know of any other ways i can get it to jump into gear?
That's impossible to tell, because it's the transmission side of the torque converter that seems to be the issue. That side of the TC is the turbine and it's connected to the transmission through the output shaft of the torque converter. It could be a bad torque converter that's the problem, or it could be something in the transmission that's effecting the torque converter. Knowing that is going to take a trip to the local transmission shop for an estimate.

Christopher

Search this Thread