Ford Taurus 91 no drive catalytic converter or?

Old 05-31-06, 05:30 PM
Ford Taurus 91 no drive catalytic converter or?

Ford Taurus 1991 v6 3.0L mileage over 180,000. My accelerator doesn't work anymore. It starts and then I try putting it into different gears, but to no avail. It starts, but it doesn't go. When I have the petal almost to the floor, the engine is running loud it slowly drives, barely in reverse or forward, but it doesn't sound good or like it can handle any more. I checked the emergency brake and it wasn't snapping back when pulled, so I cut that. I still have the problem. The exhaust pipe running under the car is extremely hot, a friend (mechanic) suggested I try to unbolt the catalytic converter and jam a broom stick or something down it to unclog it. I haven't tried that yet, but I might tomorrow. My mechanic friend lives 3 hours away, that's why they aren't able to fix it for me. Any suggestions?? Also, I'm not very familiar with exactly where the catalytic converter is, so if anyone knows a link where I can find a diagram online that would be great!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-06, 06:32 PM
Are you getting any codes? Try the autozone website for info on the codes.

As for your cat. What is your friend talking about when he says shove a broomstick down it? the cat or the exhaust pipe. It is not a good idea either way. There shouldnt be anything in your exhaust that would warrent a broomstick. Your cat. will be damaged if you stick a broomstick down it. There is a ceramic piece inside called a honeycomb monolith. If you jab it with a broomstick you will probably damage it. You can break it out completly if you do have a bad cat. However, I think that is illegal in most areas.

Old 05-31-06, 06:38 PM
He told me to brake out the honeycomb, assuming the cc is plugged, so I can drive it to him (3 hours). I would love to get it running good enough to get to his place and have him fix it. He did mention it would be a loud drive with the exhaust.

I'm not sure how to go about getting codes, would you mind explaining that to me.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 05-31-06, 06:40 PM
a few questions

Does the engine rpm go up and down with it in park or netural? does the car roll freely with car in netural parking brake off?

Old 05-31-06, 06:53 PM
Only when I press on the gas petal, but the car doesn't want to move. Otherwise it stays level. I don't have a rpm gage, I'm going by the sound/feel. Yes, the car will roll, when I have it in drive, with the door open I have one foot out the door helping it to start moving.

Before this happened I was having a difficult time shifting gears, it has a hard time getting past reverse into neutral then overdrive. The next two gears are drive and 1st. I'm not sure if it goes into drive (yes for overdrive) but it won't go into 1st. I hope I don't sound too confusing. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my current problem.

I'm at the autozone website, looking for info on the codes.

Also, I live in Ocean Shores, 30+ minutes away from a parts store.

Old 05-31-06, 07:10 PM
It sounds like your Transmission just went south, idea of sticking a broom into cat converter seems out of whack, like a scene from a Hunter S. Thompson's book
I wouldn't let your friend the " mechanic " touch my car

Old 05-31-06, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by EmmieK
Before this happened I was having a difficult time shifting gears, it has a hard time getting past reverse into neutral then overdrive. The next two gears are drive and 1st. I'm not sure if it goes into drive (yes for overdrive) but it won't go into 1st. I hope I don't sound too confusing. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my current problem.
Ford had a terrible reputation with it's early 90's model transmissions. I'm going to guess that yours has a problem with the foward/reverse clutch piston cracking. I ran into the same problem with my 95 Windstar. I could actually drive it quite well as long as I didn't let it upshift into second gear. If the car is home, I'd suggest parking it until you can find a place to tow it to for a complete estimate.

Stay away from the mechanic that told you to stick a broomstick up the catalytic converters!

Christopher

Old 05-31-06, 07:58 PM
the dying taurus

if the car starts up but will not run in a gear, more than likley it is the tranny letting go ( as was stated by lou) or one of the sensors that controls it has failed. the thought of "sticking a broomstick" to clear the cat. converter is, in my and as others have noted opinion, kinda nuts. if your friend is a good mechanic, have the car towed to him, but based on his suggestion i would question that and have it towed to a local shop that has been recommended by friends, co-workers, etc. good luck and let us know what happened, and the outcome.

barry

Old 05-31-06, 08:00 PM
The broomstick idea did sound pretty crazy to me, which led me to check the internet before I started.
I just have one more question....
About the codes, I've searched the autozone website, but only found info on taking your car to them so that they can check it w/their machine. Is there a way I can check it at home?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-31-06, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by EmmieK
The broomstick idea did sound pretty crazy to me, which led me to check the internet before I started.
I just have one more question....
About the codes, I've searched the autozone website, but only found info on taking your car to them so that they can check it w/their machine. Is there a way I can check it at home?

Thanks in advance

yes if you buy or get a scanner they're usually about $ 100 , it'll give you general starting points or it will let you know areas of failure usually not pinpoint diagnostics.

Old 06-01-06, 02:03 AM
I am with the other guys

Sounds like trannie gave up and hollowing out the cat is not going to fix that.
as far as scanners go I am not sure the thing will read tranie codes as your car is a older car and has the OB1 system. Ask them first before buying it.
let us know what happens and good luck.
If car rolls with engine off in netural it is not your brakes holding you back.
As stated early Taurus trannies are prone to failure. how ie the rest of the car? a rust bucket or a cream puff this will help make up your mind as to fix it or dump it.

Old 06-02-06, 12:37 AM
You can check out Auto Parts Information for added tips and information to help you in checking your car's catalytic converter. Good luck dude!