'91 chevy PU 350engine

Old 05-31-06, 05:34 PM
'91 chevy PU 350engine

I got a hand me down truck and today I noticed volt gauge in the red on the charge side (right)? I went to a parts house they said the alternator is bad so I bought a rebuilt one put it in connected wire and on & on. Start the truck only to have the same results. Now the I've been told is a little weak (550 CCA) for the truck, it's 3/4 ton and I will use it for pulling a travel trailer.
any suggestions would really help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-06, 02:39 AM
do you have access to a voltmeter and can read battery voltage with the engine off and when the engine is running at idle and higher rpm such as 2000 rpm checking voltage at the battery terminals knowing these readings may help determine what is wrong.

Old 06-01-06, 09:07 PM
First of all Thank you for your reply.

I had the alternator bench tested today and was assured that alternator is good. After I installed it, the voltmeter on the dash was registering a little past center. Then I saw that I did not connect the wire to the voltage regulator. I reconnected the wire and the meter went back up to the top of the meter. I got to reading sites online and talked about
1. check battery as you said
2. check ground by using voltmeter and if there is more than .5 volts difference then cable needs replacing
3. check wire to dash meter and make repairs if needed.

One question, I have just one wire (brown) that plugs into the voltage regulator, where does this go to or come from?

Old 06-02-06, 02:25 AM
the wire goes to the instrument panel probably to the battery light or indicator.

Old 06-04-06, 07:01 AM
Sounds like a gage issue to me.