92 Ford Ranger Charging System

Old 06-01-06, 09:53 AM
Red face 92 Ford Ranger Charging System

Hello,

I appreciate any help you can give me. Bare with me and my descriptions, as well my typed sound effects! My 92 Ford Ranger gave out on me last night when I attempted to start it. 2 days prior to this episode I should have seen it coming as it began showing signs something was a miss when it seemed to be loosing power in its start. Meaning instead of its powerful quick start it would start with 2 weaker turn overs then a quick start. Last night I couldn't get but a half a turn over and quickly went to nothing more than a single click when turning the key. Jumping the battery did absolutely nothing more than the click of turning the key. Not even a rrrrr, rrrr, rrrr. lol However my lights are bright, the radio works, ignition chime, etc. and the battery gauge reads as a bit above the + symbol on the dash. The battery terminals showed signs of corrosion build up so I brushed that away (it does have new terminal wires and terminals). Still nothing when jumping, however, it fired up no problem when compression starting.

Question: Does this sound like a starter, alternator, fuse problem...help! ? How can I test for which problem to remedy. Thanks...sorry for my lack of proper terms.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-06, 12:24 PM
it sounds like a battery or cable related problem suggest having the battery checked and check the cables for not only corrosion but make sure there not loose at the battery and starter solenoid.

Search this Thread