Help with new battery and alternator

Old 06-01-06, 03:05 PM
Lightbulb Help with new battery and alternator

Hi,
New to this site, so I'm very interested in gaining as much info as possible.
1993 Olds Cutlass Ciera S - put in new battery because car wouldn't start, fixed the problem. Drove about 300 miles over next 4 days, still ok. Parked car overnite and started in am, now charge light is constantly on...car starts and runs...can anyone tell me if it's the alternator or voltage reg. or what? Or how to test for myself?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-06, 03:14 PM
what you need

You will have to run down to your local radio shack and get a small multimeter if you do not have one already. Start car put scale on DC on your meter and put the red on the pos and the black on the neg post of your battery you should see 13.5 or there about on it at a fast idle.
This indicates your Alt is charging. make sure posts are clean use a wire brush if you have to get a nice clean silver look on both posts and cable. ( a digital one is easy to use and is hard to screw up should you hook it up backwards). about 20 bucks and it is a usefull tool for other things around the house or car.

Old 06-01-06, 04:02 PM
If you get a reading above 15 volts, it's overcharging.

It's best to get a free charging system test at a local auto parts store if you suspect the alternator may be bad. There is no need remove it from the vehicle to have them test it.

Old 06-02-06, 02:40 AM
assuming the alternater wiring isnt shorted to ground somewhere which isnt very likely to happen, the alternater is probably causing the charge light to come on, the alternater has an internal voltage regulator and is part of the alternater.