Ford Van stalls when warmed up

Old 06-02-06, 06:26 AM
Ford Van stalls when warmed up

I have a 1989 Ford E-250 with a fuel injected inline 6 with either 250k or 350k miles on it (I've only owned it about a year).

A couple of months ago the van started sputtering and stalling out once it's warmed up whenever I stop (like at a traffic light). Sometimes I can get it going by pumping the gas pedal...sometimes it just stalls out.

So far I have done a tune-up; plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, breather, oil change w. filter, pcv valve, and 2 new fuel filters (both inline, didn't touch the tank).

My next guess is the EGR Valve...but I hate to spend $100 on a guess.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 11:36 AM
when the van stalls does it start right back up or does it need to set for a few minutes before restarting.
suggest you check fuel pressure at the service port at the rear of the engine will probably have to pull the dog house to gain access and drive around with a fuel pressure guage installed until the van acts up to see if its losing pressure.

Old 06-03-06, 07:03 AM
It does start right back up...but it's still in sputter-mode.

When it is sputtering I have noted that if I simply lay on the gas (all the way to the floor or a little less) it will just stall out. I forgot to say that when I mentioned pumping the pedal to get it going.

Old 06-03-06, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your last post indicates that either your choke is stuck closed partialy, at least... or that you simply aren't getting enough fuel. And by opening up the throttle plate you are overwhelming the mixture with air. Could be in the carb...or the choke. Check the choke first to make sure it is open fully when warm.

Old 06-04-06, 05:04 AM
Fuel Injection.
No choke
No carb.

Old 06-04-06, 07:41 AM
ford van

check the fuel pressure. if not check the fule lines could be that one of the rubber lines is collapsing on you restricting your fuel.

Old 06-04-06, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Handy-J
... with a fuel injected inline 6...
DaVeyBoy slapping himself upside the head.

Old 06-04-06, 05:44 PM
lttlbrch
Visiting Guest
Not sure if this is relavent or not.

Is it only happening in warm weather or is it happening in cold weather also? It could be a resistor that has a fine crack in it and when the Van gets hot the crack is opening and causing the van to stall. I had a simalar problem with a Honda Car.