Olds Achieva ABS Light

Old 06-02-06, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Olds Achieva ABS Light

Wife's car - 1995 Olds Achieva 3.1L V6, 115,000 miles. Calls me today to say the ABS light is on on the instrument panel and there's a noise coming from the rear end like a buzzing from the speakers, even if the radio is off. The buzzing gets louder the faster she drives. Guesses as to what's wrong and whether this is a fix it right now problem or can wait til Monday when I can take the car in?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 06:42 AM
Sounds like maybe one of the ABS sensor wires pulled loose from the wheel. Is there a wire hanging down?
Not sure about the buzzing noise...if it is a loose wire maybe it's rubbing on something.

If that's the case...the brakes will work fine but the ABS is disengaged.

Old 06-03-06, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
Wife's car - 1995 Olds Achieva 3.1L V6, 115,000 miles. Calls me today to say the ABS light is on on the instrument panel and there's a noise coming from the rear end like a buzzing from the speakers, even if the radio is off. The buzzing gets louder the faster she drives. Guesses as to what's wrong and whether this is a fix it right now problem or can wait til Monday when I can take the car in?
The sensors for the rear wheels are bolted into the calipers, and shouldn't come out. However, I wouldn't rule out the wire breaking out off the sensor and dragging on the wheel or the rotor. That's probably why the ABS light is on, because a code was set when the circuit opened. (DTC 34 or 35). The regular brakes should work fine, but the ABS wont until the code is cleared. I'd at least get a look under there and see if any wires are hanging. The sensors should be mounted to the calipers on the side facing the front of the car.

Christopher

Old 06-04-06, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Car was actually behaving normally by the time she got home that night. I crawled under, but didn't see any hanging wires. Guess the next step is to pull the wheels.

Old 06-04-06, 06:47 AM
I recommend not doing anything until u hear the noise and see the light. Step one to diagnostics:verify concern.

Old 06-04-06, 07:47 AM
achieva

Sounds like you have a bad bearing in the back. Pick it up and do a side to side shake to see if it has play. If it is ok now could have been that some dirt or something got to the sensor and knocked its way free.