1996 Jeep grand cherokee

Old 06-03-06, 06:57 AM
1996 Jeep grand cherokee

jeep runs fine then just stops, has new fuel pump.
the jeep dealer has had it for two weeks can't find problem
if I keep it above 1/2 tank it runs fine,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
When it stops can you hear the pump run [turn key off and listen at open fuel cap while someone turns the key to "on" - not "start" - should hear it humm briefly]. One thing that could occur below a half tank is that the pump would possibly be not completely covered with fuel thereby it would run a little warmer. If you can still hear the pump humm when you turn the key probably going to be something else. The fact that the fuel level has some bearing would make me suspect the pump. Fuel filter's been changed somewhere along the line, like when the pump was replaced?

Old 06-03-06, 01:47 PM
.....if I keep it above 1/2 tank it runs fine,..

It's sound like the "coiled line" between the pump and the out let is cracked, I've seen too many fuel pumps replaced for this incident, the fuel pump does not comes with the "coiled line", that part is belong to the fuel pump module assembly. You can replace it with regular fuel hose though.

Old 06-03-06, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by rpeilander
jeep runs fine then just stops, has new fuel pump.
the jeep dealer has had it for two weeks can't find problem
if I keep it above 1/2 tank it runs fine,
How long did it take you to notice the correlation between fuel level height and your problem? I have been just sitting here pondering what would make someone (finally be?)aware of this... that the amount of the fuel in the tank had something to do with it. You must have had many times of this doing it (when low on fuel) and not doing it when higher on fuel. Interestingly also... you never said that after you fill it up it doesn't do it. That even 1/2 full it doesn't do it). Interesting. Are you positive this correlation has anything to do with it. That this just isn't some coincidence?

How did anyone conclude that it's gas related and not electrical? Because you say about it shutting off, without using any word like "sputtering" first.

(I see New Guy just proposed an interesting theory while I was in the middle of my post.)

Old 06-03-06, 08:09 PM
as for the 1/2 tank thing it started to stall like it was out of gas
so i filled it up and it ran fine until it got to the 1/2 tank mark again, at that time I changed filter and pump only to have it do it again. the shop has checked the wireing from front to back to list the things I replaced: fuel filtter, fuel pump, gas cap
spark plugs, wires, roter, distribtor cap, coil. O2 sensor

Old 06-03-06, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by New guy
.....if I keep it above 1/2 tank it runs fine,..

It's sound like the "coiled line" between the pump and the out let is cracked, I've seen too many fuel pumps replaced for this incident, the fuel pump does not comes with the "coiled line", that part is belong to the fuel pump module assembly. You can replace it with regular fuel hose though.

on the 1996 jeeps the fuel pump and module assembly is one unit with the fuel pressure reglator, it had a new coiled line in the unit. the only thing that is by its self on the tank is the
pressure relief rollover valve. its been checked out and its OK

Last edited by rpeilander; 06-03-06 at 08:40 PM.

Search this Thread