A/c problems in Ford Ranger 1992

Old 06-03-06, 07:05 AM
Question A/c problems in Ford Ranger 1992

Air conditoiner is coming on fine, blowing cold air, then it stops blowing cold air. Like the compressor is shutting off.

The a/c was not cooling at all since I have had it. Like it was low on freon, R-12. So three days ago...a conversion kit was used to change from R-12 to the R-134a and it had a stop leak in the R-134a also. A vacuum on the system was pulled, etc. I thought the a/c had a leak. It was about 3 cans that was put in the system.

So now does this mean it has too much freon R-134a in it or too little? Should I still check for leaks in the hoses? Do I take them off one by one and put in water to test? I don't know much about cars, so any advice is helpful.

Just trying to keep it running through the summer, and it is hot here. This is a Ford Ranger 1992 with over 200,000 miles on it. Engine type is the 2.9 Liter, V6.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 07:57 AM
nap
Does it start blowing cold again after some time period or some other criteria??

Does the inside fan continue to blow. Looka the the A/C compressor. Does the fromt of it continue to rotate. It should cycle occasionally. Time of cycle will be different upon engine speed, outside temp, and other factors.

Do not open any refrigerant lines. You cannot leak test them without proper equipment or at least a dye in the system.

I don't know how much refrigerant you vehicle requires. There was (and maybe still is) a label in the engine compartment for your a/c. It should list the total amount of freon required. Post that info if it is there.

Old 06-03-06, 04:30 PM
Yes the fan continues to blow except the air coming out becomes warm or hot air instead of cold. I could not find any label left on this old old vehicle. Maybe I can find the specs online for it.

Old 06-03-06, 05:04 PM
nap
Originally Posted by skarney
Yes the fan continues to blow except the air coming out becomes warm or hot air instead of cold. I could not find any label left on this old old vehicle. Maybe I can find the specs online for it.
What about the A/C compressor. Did you look to see if the clutch is still engaged? Does it cycle?

Old 06-03-06, 05:11 PM
what kind and how much oil did you use when you filled it? Do you know what pressures you are dealing with? What are the high side and low side pressures? what are they after its been running for a few minutes?

Old 06-03-06, 05:27 PM
ok, just checked. Here is what is happening. The truck starts, a/c comes on and is working fine, then the compressor shuts off, but air is still blowing out. It is not hot and is not cold, just air. The compressor comes back on, but then it quits. It will try to work, but eventually stops all together. I don't have gauges to check the pressure, but can borrow them if it helps.

Old 06-03-06, 05:38 PM
nap
Originally Posted by skarney
ok, just checked. Here is what is happening. The truck starts, a/c comes on and is working fine, then the compressor shuts off, but air is still blowing out. It is not hot and is not cold, just air. The compressor comes back on, but then it quits. It will try to work, but eventually stops all together. I don't have gauges to check the pressure, but can borrow them if it helps.
It is very normal for an auto a/c to cycle, which is what you are describing, up to a point.

Get the gauges and post back with the numbers.

There are a couple things that could be happening but without the numbers, it is only guessing.