1996 Chrysler Cirrus LXI 2.5/V6

Old 06-03-06, 11:37 AM
Unhappy 1996 Chrysler Cirrus LXI 2.5/V6

I'd took my Chrysler to the local service center because after driving the car for about an hour the vehicle would turn off. I'd tried to turn the car on but it would'nt start. I'd waited for over an hour then the car turned on. When the car was put on thier computer I was told that the car needed a tune up and cables coil and some other parts totaling to almost $500.00. After they completed the work I was driving home and decided to stop at the supermarket. When I turn the key to start the car it would not start, it would only crank but not start. I immediately call the service center and told the service manager that I was having the same problem he told me to call a tow truck and have them bring the car back, so that they once again check to see what was causing the problem. A day later the service manager called me and told me that they once again put the car on the computer and did some other test and found out that the compression on piston #2 was at 55 and that the head gaskets where leaking oil into the cylinder therefore causing the problem. That if I wanted the problem fix that the car would need a head gasket kit installed. At that point I was so upset to say the least and took the car home after the car sat for over an hour. Can you please help me? What is the problem?

Last edited by joystck2006; 06-03-06 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by joystck2006
..... because after driving the car for about an hour the vehicle would turn off. I'd tried to turn the car on but it would'nt start. I'd waited for over an hour then the car turned on.
If the motor cranks but does not start and one cylinder is affected, I'd say that the car should still be able to start. I've had a couple vehicles that have blown head gaskets and one was so bad that it finally hydrolocked. But up until that very fateful day, I was still able to fire it up. It just ran on like 3 cylinders. But it still worked.

If you have oil or anti-freeze fouling out one plug, it should still fire up, I would think. Unless, your entire engine tuning is so far off that the loss of one cylinder was the last straw.

If oil is your issue, you could try to add one of those anti-foulers that you screw on under the spark plug, and see what happens.

Old 06-04-06, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
I agree that the problems the shop are claiming don't seem to be able to cause the symptoms you're having. It also seems like what they're telling you now is something they should have found the first time. I'd try a different shop.

Old 06-04-06, 07:30 AM
Cirrus

Did you notice if the temp gauge was reading high? I did a van that did the same and it turned out to be the temp sensor. If not could be a crankpostion sensor going bad. Just some thing to look into. Is there a check enging light? If there is you can go to any Advance auto or auto zone and they read the codes for you. Good luck.

Old 06-04-06, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by joystck2006
I immediately call the service center and told the service manager that I was having the same problem he told me to call a tow truck and have them bring the car back, so that they once again check to see what was causing the problem. A day later the service manager called me and told me that they once again put the car on the computer and did some other test and found out that the compression on piston #2 was at 55 and that the head gaskets where leaking oil into the cylinder therefore causing the problem.
I'm not sure I agree with the first diagnosis, a tune-up for a car that stalled while running and wouldn't restart? Was the other test a full compression test?

1 bad cylinder shouldn't keep a car from starting, I drove around a 72 Monaco with a V8 that had two bad pistons (holes, injested metal imbedded). I would start by checking the oil level and adding any needed if it's not at the full mark. Next I'd pull the plug to the #2 cylinder and verifying that there is oil on the plug and in the cylinder. With the plug out, you should be able to crank over the engine and see if it will start and run for a minute or so. Keep an eye on the oil pressure if it's a gauge or for the Oil Pressure light to stay off while the car is running.

After that you can either buy a compression tester or have another mechanic check the compression in all the cylinders and compare the results to what the service center said they found.

Christopher