motor oil leaking into radiator Accord '98 4cyl

Old 06-03-06, 04:03 PM
Angry motor oil leaking into radiator Accord '98 4cyl

Please help and thank you for your replies:

I have Honda Accord 98 4cyl ex with 111,000 miles first owner change oil/filter every 5,000 miles. At 86,000 miles dealer shop change tranmission becuase is leaking tran. oil. Now over 100,000 miles motor oil is leaking into radiator. Reason: I find out about it, becuase the radiator return line burst, anti-freez is everywhere include oil. Check tran. oil is good. Check motor oil is low. Replaced radiator line, flush radiator clean, change engine oil/filter, drive for a week check engine oil and under engine for oil leak: no leak, check radiator is good and clean. Drive for other week, check engine oil is low, check radiator, oil is in radiator. car still drive able and yet oil is leaking into radiator. PLEASE help, how could this be possible. Not a drop of oil is leaking outside of an engine, but leaking into a radiator.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by puttz
Please help and thank you for your replies:
Replaced radiator line, flush radiator clean, change engine oil/filter, drive for a week check engine oil and under engine for oil leak: no leak, check radiator is good and clean. Drive for other week, check engine oil is low, check radiator, oil is in radiator. car still drive able and yet oil is leaking into radiator. PLEASE help, how could this be possible. Not a drop of oil is leaking outside of an engine, but leaking into a radiator.
I wonder if you have a hairline crack in your oil cooler in the radiator and it only opens up under certain conditions (heat, or pressure)? Try disconnecting the lines from the oil cooler (you may have two, one for the tranny, and one for the engine) and pressure testing the radiator. You should be able to hold 15 psi and not see any coolant coming out of the oil cooler fittings.

Christopher

Old 06-03-06, 05:13 PM
Do you have an oil cooler? if you dont you may be looking at some serious problems.

Old 06-03-06, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by zzzz1486
Do you have an oil cooler? if you dont you may be looking at some serious problems.
Assuming he has the VTEC engine he has at least one. The tanks are at the top and bottom of the radiator and the bottom has two brass fittings for the cooler, possibly more. According to Edmunds, oil coolers were standard equipment starting with the 1991 model year. If he had a bad tranny cooler, he'd be getting coolant into the transmission and transmission fluid into the radiator, and I believe he said that wasn't the case.

Christopher

Old 06-03-06, 06:27 PM
nap
Bad head gasket.

If this is an OHC engine (which I thnk it is), the oil through the head is pressurized and if the gasket between the oil and coolant passages were compromised, you would have this effect.

I would look for coolant in the oil as well. Whichever fluid has the greater pressure will generally pass to the other passage. While running, the oil pressure is greater but on shut down, the coolant will have more pressure.

If the breach is not great, it may prevent the coolant from getting into the oil but not reverse. Coolant pressure ~15 psi, oil pressure ~40 - 60 psi or more in some cases.

Worse case scenario, cracked head or block between oil passage and coolant passage.

Have you had any overheating problems??

Old 06-03-06, 08:37 PM
Thank you again for replies:
I do not have overheat problem, but I do have a VTEC Engine as it stated on the engine block cover, and again the oil is engine oil not a tranny oil I know for fact becuase I have to add motor oil and it not leaking outside of engine block anywhere, my tranny fluid is alway the same. I check my radiator for oil coolant line that run into radiator. I found two line, disconnected both line, and both line have tranny fluid. Try to located oil line can not find it, but look on the edmund honda repair manual and part catalog found one of the tranny line label as (O/CLR) and the other line label as (ATF). I find no anti-freeze fluid in engine oil when drain.

Old 06-03-06, 09:07 PM
nap
Even without the coolant in the oil, I would still strongly suspect the head gasket. I can;t think of any other way engine oil would get into the coolant.

Like I posted, the oil pressure is much higher than the coolant pressure and the leak may be small enough to restrict the flow of coolant but allow the oil transfer.

The reason I asked about overheating is that if it had, this may have been when the gasket went bad or a crack was developed to cause the leak.

Now with oil/trans lines at the radiator, I am sure you realize that they would be in even numbers. Each fluid would need a supply and return so if you have just two lines, I would say you do not have an oil cooler, just trans fluid.

Old 06-03-06, 10:19 PM
Oil Cooler

So you do have the engine oil cooler ( EOC ) ? look for 2 lines coming from engine to radiator on opposite side of Tranny lines, in other words if you see 4 lines going into your radiator, you have the oil cooler ( 2 from tranny,2 from engine, that is 1 in 1 out ) .
I'd suspect head gasket only if engine was overheated or abused somehow, most likely your eoc is bad in the rad , replace radiator, no wonder newer engines have and air EOC located on front of a/c panel and the very front of vehicle, at least my '05 chevy has it.

Old 06-03-06, 10:35 PM
nap
Originally Posted by LouBazooka
So you do have the engine oil cooler ( EOC ) ? look for 2 lines coming from engine to radiator on opposite side of Tranny lines, in other words if you see 4 lines going into your radiator, you have the oil cooler ( 2 from tranny,2 from engine, that is 1 in 1 out ) .
I'd suspect head gasket only if engine was overheated or abused somehow, most likely your eoc is bad in the rad , replace radiator, no wonder newer engines have and air EOC located on front of a/c panel and the very front of vehicle, at least my '05 chevy has it.
I would tend to agree with you but the OP has not found an oil cooler lines as of yet. He claims to have 2 lines to his radiator. If he does have a cooler, this would be a more logical answer and much easier and less expensive to fix.

I am not familiar with this car to tell you if he has one or not. ChristopherT a few posts up seems to have evidence there is an oil cooler. Hopefully the OP can find one.

Old 06-04-06, 06:38 AM
no oil cooler

there are only two lines come out of radiator, beside the radiator hoses itself.

Old 06-05-06, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by puttz
there are only two lines come out of radiator, beside the radiator hoses itself.
If you trace the lines back from the radiator, do they end up at the transmission or somewhere else? If they stop at the transmission then they are obviously transmission cooler lines, but that would rule out something simple causing your problem. If it's not an oil cooler, then your looking at something along the lines of a bad head gasket or some other internal problem.

Christopher

Old 06-05-06, 10:51 PM
ITS TIME TO SELL!! SELL!! SELL!!