Some problems with a 90 Grand Caravan.

Old 06-03-06, 10:42 PM
Some problems with a 90 Grand Caravan.

HI, I have been having quite a few problems with my van lately and wondering if anyone could help me with some of them.
It is a 1990 Grand Caravan SE 3.3L engine with 200k miles.
First problem is the radiator cooling fan, I cant get it to turn on! I have replaced the fan itself, the coolant temp sensor, thermostat, water pump, cooling fan relay, all did no good.Now it seems to have a mind of its own, because one day I by chance opened the hood and the fan kicked on, got home and it stopped working and hasnt worked since, its becoming hotter out and the overheating is getting worse.
Second is the Emissions, I failed the NoX by about 1 full point, would replacing the Cat and O2 sensor be enough for the vehicle pass?

And the final problem is with my alternator, I dunno if it somewith the alternator or not but every time it rains out or I hit a puddle or it snows, the battery power drops almost to nothing, I had the drive belt changed and it did no good.
Sometimes after hitting a puddle if I put the car in Neutral and rev the eninge that fixes the problem, but until the weather dries up it seems the alternator doesnt put out enough power.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-06, 08:23 AM
90 caravan

I have a 93 that had the same problem with the fan my problem was the plug the wire it self that goes into the fan. I would suggest have it running and play with the connection to see if it turns on. You defenitley have some kind of short in there. Dont run this to hot the 3.3 liters have rep to blow the head gaskets.

Test the altenator make sure your getting enough out of it 1st. You replaced the drive belt how was the tensioner? They have a rep of tensioners going bad not enough tension your altenator won't work right.

Old 06-04-06, 08:28 AM
I'll have the alternator tested soon then. if that comes up good ill have the tensioner tested too, thanks.

But as for the fans are you talking about the connecting plugs? since I got the fan from a newer Caravan from the junkyard, the plugs werent the same and I just cut and spliced the wires.

Old 06-04-06, 08:32 AM
caravan

yes I was talking about that. Another thing if you changed the plug check for a bad ground wire somewhere. Very common with plymouth dodge and chryslers

Old 06-04-06, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Shirako
...Now it seems to have a mind of its own, because one day I by chance opened the hood and the fan kicked on,...
My Dodges have had similar minds of their own too, regarding when the fan comes on. I finally gave up thinking about it and have blamed it on those nasty air pockets in the water system.

Old 06-04-06, 08:06 PM
Where abouts would this ground wire be? lol Engine electrical is like a rubix cube to me.

Old 06-04-06, 10:23 PM
if it gets to the extreme you could just connect fan directly to battery with a switch installed on dash so you can operate it manually , not the best solution but an effective one if you want to protect the engine, for a 1990 a little rigging doesn't make too much of a difference in value