Wheel goes "swish-swish"

Old 06-04-06, 08:24 AM
Wheel goes "swish-swish"

I noticed recently that I'm hearing a "swish-swish" noise from the left front wheel. The frequency of the noise varies with the speed of the vehicle. I have a 2002 Chrysler Voyager with about 26K miles. It has disc brakes, and I'm guessing it's the brake. Correct guess? Is it a problem? Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-06, 08:32 AM
nap
Very probable.

I have also had a radial tire that made a swish noise when the belts shifted but usually can't be heard above a very slow cruise.

You could have several things happening. Some severe, some not. A brake rotor often builds up a rust ridge around the uoter and inner edge of the rotor wher the brake pad does not normally contact. Sonetimes as the pad wears, it will make contact with this and make a noise.

More likely is the rotor has a light warpage and the brake pads are worn out. It is dificult to diagnose without actually hearing it though.

When the pads are worn down to the metal backing, the sounds tend to be more pronounced than when there is some pad left.

If you are capable of brakes, they need some investigative diagnosis work, If not, many shops will do brake checks for free or a small charge. Don;t mess around with this, a worst case scenario is brake loss iof things are worn enough. Not tring to scare you, just impress the gravity of what could happen.

Old 06-04-06, 08:36 AM
If you have wheel hub caps, remove them and try again.

Old 06-04-06, 08:52 AM
nap
Originally Posted by New guy
If you have wheel hub caps, remove them and try again.
Hadn't thought of that. I haven't had a vehicle with hubcaps in so long.

Good point to look at. They can be very noisy.

Old 06-04-06, 03:13 PM
Ah, yes, good suggestions. Now I remember about noises in hubcaps from another car long ago and far away. But seeing as I have to remove all the lug nuts to remove the cover, I might as well bring it in to have the brakes checked. And your comment about radial tires turns on the light bulb, too, because I actually think the noise is coming from the TIRE.....but it's kinda hard to tell with all the wind noise when I stick my head out the window. (Not to mention the danger of running off the road.)

If it's the tire, is that an immediate problem, or can I let it slide? Thanks.....

Old 06-04-06, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by coaster

If it's the tire, is that an immediate problem, or can I let it slide? Thanks.....
Look for the equivelant of an aneuryism on the sidewall of the tire (inside or outside). Broken belt. Not good.

Old 06-04-06, 07:51 PM
OK, thanks, will do.