'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overheating

Old 06-04-06, 11:36 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overheating

I have a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.2L engine and approximately 137,000 miles. About 6 months ago, the car was overheating badly and would not run. My son and I slowly went through it, replacing both heads that were cracked, replacing the transmission with a rebuilt one, replacing the water pump, thermostat, all hoses and belts, all fluilds and gaskets, starter and battery.

We finally finished and after back flushing the rusty water out of it, filled it with anti-freeze and started it up. Car ran great, but after a short time, we peaked out the temp gauge. What could we have done wrong? Is there a checklist of things I can look at?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-06, 12:58 PM
Install a new fan clutch and you should be good to go

Old 06-04-06, 01:23 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like you know what you are doing but, is the thermostat in upside down?

You need to check for water flow when the engine is heating up. Start with the rad cap off, get her going and wait. As the temp gauge rises to an approximate point of the thermostat setting, the water should begin to flow.

If not, I would look at the t-stat, then possibly water pump.

When you first filled the coolant, did you allow it to purge and then refill? Some engines are prone to pocketing air within the engine and will do what you describe.

If you have water flow, Former Member has a good idea with the fan clutch (if applicable)

Last edited by Forums; 08-11-06 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 01:32 PM
Did you check radiator ? it may be time to service it or get a rebuilt one, usually really affordable ( about $ 140 with core exchange ).

Old 06-04-06, 01:38 PM
What's the condition of your radiator?. I know you've said it has been back flush but if your radiator clogging due to rust or being it age, you still be able to back flush it but it's still clogging, I'd remove the radiator and take it to radiator shop for them look at it first before going for the fan clutch, most of time, when the Dodge/Jeep fan clutch fails, it'll stay locks which means fan on all the time which also translate to running cool.

Old 06-04-06, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by nap
When you first filled the coolant, did you allow it to purge and then refill? Some engines are prone to pocketing air within the engine and will do what you describe.
Dodge 4-bangers are good for this one. I know allll about this. You can have everything working good: Good flow through radiator, new stat (in the right way), electric radiator fan kicks on...yet you can watch the temp gauge go up to high and then suddenly drop down to proper range, then oscillate back up to almost as high as it was, then drop way down again, and finally equalize somewhere's in the lower temp range. I have found that by putting the car in neutral while cruising down the road and getting the tach up to about 3-3 1/2 grand will help move the water faster and drive out the air pocket and help drop the temp back down, rather than have it sit there too long up there in the danger zone, and cost you a blown head gasket.

Didn't the idiot engineers know of this problem? Years ago I never heard of hearing cars have this problem. Today, it's common knowledge. But with the engines I mentioned...even by purging them the way you are supposed to is even supposed to be hard in getting out all the air, so I have heard.

Old 06-05-06, 12:55 PM
E
Thanks for the response - a few points.

1. I forgot to mention we also replaced the radiator.

2. Hopefully we put the thermostat in right, but certainly something to check.

3. Air bubble? I was not familiar with that - what is the proper way to purge an engine? And what DaVeBoy mentions is exactly what happened. The temp gauge went to max, dropped to normal, and then to max again. So if I run the car a little longer it will automatically purge the air out?

Old 06-05-06, 01:13 PM
B
suggest replacing the thermostat again unfortanetly sometimes you get one that sticks while you may notice the temp drop for the first few times the thermostat opens it shouldnt ever get hot enough to overheat, idling the engine with the radiater cap off until the thermostat opens and starts flowing water will purge any air out of the system you will notice the upper hose will be hot when the thermostat opens.

Old 06-06-06, 02:23 PM
E
Thanks for the help and it was an air pocket. We let the car cool down and then ran it for a few minutes with the radiator cap off. Car ran at normal temps and is continueing to run fine. Thanks again.