2003 Mitsubishi Galant w/a leak(?)

Old 06-04-06, 08:04 PM
2003 Mitsubishi Galant w/a leak(?)

I'm stumped. My Galant is leaking 'water' underneath the dash, the problem is that I can't isolate what is causing the leaking. I haven't figured out if it's the A/C or if my front windshield is leaking somehow. Any ideas?

The windshield was replaced about a year ago. It was an insurance claim and it started leaking about 2 months ago so I called my insurance company (USAA) who took care of it. I don't see any 'tell-tale' water marks on the inside of the window which leads me to believe the A/C is leaking underneath the passenger's side of the dashboard. When I corner hard turning the wheel to the left you can hear the 'water' sloshing around under the dash & hitting the blower fan motor. At this point the water trickles out from under the dash and leaks onto the carpet. The 'water' is clear in color and odorless.

Stats: 4 cyl, 2.3L automatic, 103k miles.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Darrell
I'm stumped. My Galant is leaking 'water' underneath the dash, the problem is that I can't isolate what is causing the leaking. I haven't figured out if it's the A/C or if my front windshield is leaking somehow. Any ideas?
Look under the car when the AC is on MAX AC/COLD. You should see a steady drip of condensate coming from the evaporator drain. If you don't, you need to look for the drain under the hood, remove it and clean it out, it's likely completely clogged. The drain is almost always on the firewall, and may be on the passenger side or in the center. It might be a short hose pointing toward the ground,or like mine, a rubber elbow.

Once you figure out where the drain hose is, you can just pull it off the end of the pipe and you should see water start to come out of the pipe. Check the hose and see if it's clogged completely and clean it out if it is. If it's not clogged completely, then you need to feel inside the drain pipe if possible for debris or hard water deposits that might be blocking it.

Christopher

Old 06-05-06, 07:19 PM
Sounds like good advice, thanks Christopher. I'll do it this weekend! I buy Chilton's manuals on all my cars so that I can do my own preventative maintenance, etc,. However, the manual points to where the drain valve should be. I'll prop the car up & crawl underneath it for another look see.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread