98 Jeep Cherokee tail light

Old 06-04-06, 09:54 PM
98 Jeep Cherokee tail light

I have a1998 Jeep Cherokee. The left tail light does not work and it has a new bulb. The brake light using the same bulb works. There is no fuse listed in the owners manual for tail lights.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by sharkmansc
I have a1998 Jeep Cherokee. The left tail light does not work and it has a new bulb. The brake light using the same bulb works. There is no fuse listed in the owners manual for tail lights.
Check the socket and see if there is any grease in it that's generally used as a waterproofing. You may have a bad socket or wiring, but I've seen cases where the grease gets into things and blocks the connection.

Christopher

Old 06-05-06, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check out as Christopher suggests. Since the brake light portion works, the ground is good. Since the other tail light works, any fuse or circuit breaker is good.

Old 06-05-06, 11:24 AM
Bulb

Just because bulb is new does not mean it is good try a new bulb or swap sides. Or you can use a meter to check bulb and or socket.

Old 06-05-06, 03:29 PM
Had a simular problem in my 98, never could figure it out, I ended up running a jumper wire from the RH taillight to the LH taillight. I think the power to that light has been severed somewhere, maybe a bad connector in the harness or something.

Check the front marker light and see if it works, I'm betting it's out too.

Old 01-03-07, 06:59 PM
I've got the same problem

Hi,

New member, first time poster. I'm reviving this thread because I've got the same problem, and I found this thread while googling for answers. I've got a 1999 Jeep Cherokee.

My left rear tail light is out, but the brake light (same bulb) works. Both filaments on the bulb meter out good. After reading this thread I looked, and I see that the left front parking light is out also.

I've got a manual up to 1997, but looking over the wiring diagram I don't see how the problem could be isolated to one side. I've got no objection to adding a jumper wire like one poster talked about, but I can't figure out how.

I'm pretty handy, but most of my car work is mechanical. Electrical work is limited to things like installing radios. Anybody got a suggestion on how to approach this?

thanks,
Dave Wilson
www.xxxxxxxxxx.cc

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-04-07 at 10:49 AM. Reason: personal web site edited
Old 01-04-07, 04:43 AM
I simply pulled both taillight assemblies, isolated which wire on the working side went to the taillight, and spliced into it, ran the wire over the hatch behind the gasket to the other side and spliced into the same wire.

You can do essentially the same for the front, but tap the side marker instead, since it's a shorter run.

Old 01-05-07, 08:05 PM
Check your fuses. Looking at a diagram i have it seems the taillamps use a different fuse then the brake lamps. The right and left use seperate fuses. Try fuse # 7 in fuse box, but not sure if that's the right number or not my diagrams a little hard to read. If not check all the fuses including the ones in the underhood box. It also seems the license plate lamp works of the same fuse as the left taillamps, is it working?.

Old 01-08-07, 09:37 AM
fixed it!

fordtech:

You gave me the clue I needed. I checked the license plate bulb and it was out also, although it metered good. The fuses under the hood were good, so I looked around the dash to see if there were more fuses. That's when I noticed the owner's manual in the glove box. Page 192 - "the fuse panel is located behind the passenger kick panel". It took me about 30 seconds to find the fuses, find that #7 was bad, and replace it with the spare fuse that Chrysler had thoughtfully provided. Then I went to the auto parts store to replace the spare.

I feel pretty stupid, but at least it's fixed and I didn't have to do any wiring.

thanks,
Dave Wilson

Old 01-09-07, 05:02 AM
Talking

Your welcome and i'm glad you were able to fix it. Nothing to feel stupid about though the main thing is you did it without having to take it to a shop. I personally don't know a mechanic that knows everthing there is to know and if you ever find one that thinks he does i'd go the other direction and leave him be.

Old 02-23-12, 09:20 PM
My license plate light is the only thing out. Already check number 7 fuse and all the rest. Bulb good. No voltage at the socket.