94 Chevy S10 LS not getting gas

Old 06-06-06, 12:35 PM
94 Chevy S10 LS not getting gas

Motor: 4.3L Vortec TBI (~180,000 miles)

Fuel Pump and Sending unit replaced ~8-10 months ago.
Spark Plug and Wires replaced ~4-5months ago.
Air Filter replaced ~1month ago.
Wires going to Fuel Pump/Brake lights were apparently smashed during fuel tank reinstall and had been all repaired/replaced, this was also around ~5months ago.

Something I have noticed, is when I am trying to start it, the fuel gauge has gone up now WAY past the F line (tank is 3/4 full), now facing about perfectly horizontal towards the passenger side.

This has happened one other time, but after playing with it, it suddently started & gauge went back to normal. Now a month or so later, it has happened again, and we have tried about everything to get this thing started. Dumping gas directly in will make it start, but obviously dies shortly after.

I was thinking maybe its the fuel filter, but I was talking to a mechanic buddy of mine, and he said that shouldn't cause it to not start at all, especially if this has happened before, and then suddently started. He was said that its probably a bad sending unit with the gas gauge being screwy, but I really dont want to drop the tank again without being sure. I just dont see how a new sending unit can go bad so soon.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by untal3nted1; 06-06-06 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-06, 05:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What happens if you try to start it right now? Does it sometimes start and sometimes not? Does it keep running perfectly fine once it has started, under any situations like even flooring it up hill?...or does it ever starve out of gas?

Old 06-06-06, 06:06 PM
before you try to start it and the key is in the on position, are you hearing the pump kick on?

Old 06-07-06, 11:20 AM
No, currently it will not start AT ALL (unless I personally dump gas into it ;-) ). When it was running, I NEVER had any problems even with flooring it, never stalled, nothing. All the sudden I just went to go somewhere, and it whouldn't start. Im thinking its electrical and I believe I have found the FP relays but am unsure of how to test them.

Old 06-07-06, 11:33 AM
just slam on another new pump/fuel filter and sending unit and closely inspect those wiring repairs, got to drop the tank man, just do it, stop procrastinating , YOU GOT JACK STANDS UNDER IT YET? I would come help you but have a bunch of stuff broke myself LOL all I can give is some encouragemnet to get going Good Luck
Note: fuel pumps can be damaged (overheat) if a tank is run nearly dry the little fella whirrs away and gets hot have you run your truck out of fuel or nearly out in the period of time between pump replacement to the problem started? I dont have a shop hours book but would think this job is no more than a couple hrs labor?

Old 06-07-06, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tsubaki
just slam on another new pump/fuel filter and sending unit and closely inspect those wiring repairs, got to drop the tank man, just do it, stop procrastinating , YOU GOT JACK STANDS UNDER IT YET? I would come help you but have a bunch of stuff broke myself LOL all I can give is some encouragemnet to get going Good Luck
Note: fuel pumps can be damaged (overheat) if a tank is run nearly dry the little fella whirrs away and gets hot have you run your truck out of fuel or nearly out in the period of time between pump replacement to the problem started? I dont have a shop hours book but would think this job is no more than a couple hrs labor?
The thing is, the fuel pump and sending unit were just replaced like 6 months ago, makes no sense for it to go bad again, this soon. And yes the tank has been ran dry, or nearly dry a few times, but thats no reason for it to go bad this soon. Im still thinking its something else. Not to mention droping and raising the tank is a PITA, especially when its 3/4 full.

Im leaning towards electrical. Maybe ground to pump is bad, or the relay is bad (which I found found to be pretty common for this particular S10 setup). My trouble is finding information on how to test, jump it.

Old 06-07-06, 01:07 PM
if you have a test light or voltmeter and dont hear the pump run for a couple of seconds when you first turn the key on.
disconnect the connector near the tank and have someone cycle the key on every 10 seconds and see if it is getting power to the pump there is probably 3 wires or 4 wires look for voltage at one of them that will come on for about 2 seconds then go off until the key is cycled on again. if you have power suggest you pull the tank.