Is it the ignition switch?

Old 06-09-06, 06:30 AM
Is it the ignition switch?

I have a 1997 nissan maxima that starts every morning without incident. But in the afternoon it will not do anything at all. I have to jiggle the key around and then finally (everytime) it will crank just fine. What could this be and is it expensive to repair? Do you think my key is warn out or what?

Thanks
Nelly

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-06, 08:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not positive on your car, but on most cars the key actually controls a rod which goes down the inside of the steering column. At the other end of the rod, under the dash, is the actual switch. The switch contacts could be worn and when your car is cool in the morning they work, but in the afternoon when they car is hot they expand a little and don't make good contact. Check with a dealer or trusted garage. Probably one hours labor and a new switch would cure your problem.

Old 06-09-06, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Nelly1815
I have a 1997 nissan maxima that starts every morning without incident. But in the afternoon it will not do anything at all. I have to jiggle the key around and then finally (everytime) it will crank just fine. What could this be and is it expensive to repair? Do you think my key is warn out or what?

Thanks
Nelly
Does it makes any noise at all? like a click when you are trying to start it?.

There are two things that I can think of.

1) if it makes a clicking noise but fail to crank = starter problem.

2) If no noise at all and all the dash lights remain lit = Newtral safety switch. Try to push the shifter all the way to Park while try to start the engine and see if it's start. If it does, post back here and I'll guide you thru the procedure to trace the problem down, it's not your Newtral safety switch problem, it's a part missing/worn out that causes the safety switch not going into Park.

On the side note, do you have to move/wiggle your shifter to get your car moves after you shifted to Drive or Rev.?.

Old 07-19-06, 01:49 PM
1996 Maxima with similar problems

I have a 96 Maxima that sometimes starts fine, but at other times will not crank or turn when I try to start. Eventually the car will start and it runs fine, but randomnly it does not, any suggestions?? Ignition relay? Starter issue? I am at a loss.