Idles Great When Cold

Old 06-09-06, 10:08 AM
Question Idles Great When Cold

What would cause my 91 grand am le 2.5l to idle perfect when first start but after it warms up it misses all the time. i just replaced the timing chain, ign moduel, crank postion sensor.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-06, 03:52 PM
What do u mean, misses at idle?

Old 06-09-06, 05:11 PM
Could be your coil pack acting up

Old 06-09-06, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
What do u mean, misses at idle?
miss fires

Old 06-09-06, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by zzzz1486
Could be your coil pack acting up
tried 3 different sets, i hear some about if the alt is putting out more then 2 volts in ac it could cause this, im going to check mine and see what it is putting out

Old 06-10-06, 06:14 AM
So it has an intermittant fish bite sensation? or it is just running on three cylinders constantly?

Old 06-10-06, 07:19 AM
I had a similar situation with a Subaru about 15 years ago...
Turned out the intake manifold gasket was bad so when the engine warmed up it started sucking too much air into one of the cyllinders. Normal driving it would idle rough and stall once it was warmed up. Seemed to run ok on the highway though...and my mileage went from 33 to between 45 and 50mpg.
I remember the mechanic that diagnosed it sprayed something (spray glue I think) on the engine when it was running and it revved way up when he sprayed. (I think he could have used a stethiscope and heard the problem)

Old 06-10-06, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Handy-J
I had a similar situation with a Subaru about 15 years ago...
Turned out the intake manifold gasket was bad so when the engine warmed up it started sucking too much air into one of the cyllinders. Normal driving it would idle rough and stall once it was warmed up. Seemed to run ok on the highway though...and my mileage went from 33 to between 45 and 50mpg.
I remember the mechanic that diagnosed it sprayed something (spray glue I think) on the engine when it was running and it revved way up when he sprayed. (I think he could have used a stethiscope and heard the problem)

i replaced the gasket when i changed the ign mod and everything.

i checked the voltage on the alt and it reads 30v AC that probbli isnt good. the chevy dealer ship here said if its above 2 volts the computer thinks theres a voltage drop because ac switchs back and forth. which would explain my dead batt this morning.