Front Disc Brakes Replace 2003 Focus

Old 06-09-06, 04:41 PM
Front Disc Brakes Replace 2003 Focus

hello,

im going to replace all the brakes, including the two front rotors, rear are drum brakes. ok, rotors cant be cut, already under specs before i have em cut. now ive havent done auto work for about 5 yrs now cause of an illness, but have done many brakes on all diff cars/trucks before, but have one question about the front disc brakes. the outside shoe looks to have an anti rattle clip on it, but a mechanic told me it is more than that, and needs to be replaced correctly or the pads will rub or bind on the rotor. i think once i get it apart it should be self-explanatory, right? or is there some hidden surprise i should be aware of? the local garage wants $500 to do the job. i can buy the parts from napa, and do it myself for around $150!!! i dont charge my gf labor!...bob

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-06, 04:55 PM
not to bad

Just take your time it is not any more complex then 5 years ago just do yourself a favor and stay away from the cheap rotars get the American or Canadian made set they for some reason will not warp as easy.
Also use the anti squeal compound sold in a little tube or it may come with some. and always use jack stands for saftey you do not need another injury.

Old 06-09-06, 06:09 PM
van,

ty for the imput. i didnt think so, but the mechanic that inspected the car, made it sound like, "ud better watch out" lol its a floating caliper system i imagine , using torx head mounting bolts. now on the rear, i want to check the bearings, and if they r ok, repack them. now the rear has a straight axle, correct, and a spindel the iner and outer bearings ride on, just like the the old cars or yesteryear had in the front with an a-frame? now getting back to the front rotors. they just slide off after u remove the calipers, correct? they used to, but things do change in 5 yrs! OH!, this guy told me that in order to adjust the rear drum brakes, u have to back up, and pull the e-brake on and off? i always just brought em up to a slight drag, and backed up and just pumped the brake pedal. is this guy pulling my chain????...bob

Old 06-10-06, 02:00 AM
not sure

Not sure about if the bearings are servicable on your ford,They might be sealed.
Maybe a Ford tech or other person will know that They have gone pretty much maintenance free on lots of stuff on the newer cars not like grand dad Oldsmobile from the 60s.