Check Engine Light

Old 06-10-06, 01:16 PM
Question Check Engine Light

I have an 2000 Suzuki Esteem 1.8. And my check engine light is on i have ad it scaned a few time and removed and it keeps coming back on. when i had gotten it scan thay said the code was P0440 and they told it me was that i keep filling it up with the car on and that makes it come on or the as cap is loose in which it is not or its bad where as i bought a new one so can someone plz help me out? thanks! oh yea and i smell fumes sometimes when i drive with my window down.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by selfesteem
I have an 2000 Suzuki Esteem 1.8. And my check engine light is on i have ad it scaned a few time and removed and it keeps coming back on. when i had gotten it scan thay said the code was P0440 and they told it me was that i keep filling it up with the car on and that makes it come on or the as cap is loose in which it is not or its bad where as i bought a new one so can someone plz help me out? thanks! oh yea and i smell fumes sometimes when i drive with my window down.
A code P0440 comes back as an Evap emission control system malfunction. While this code could be set by a bad gas cap, it could also be caused by a loose or broken hose or vacuum line in your evaporative control system. I'd suggest checking all the lines leading from the tank to see if the connections are tight, including all the fuel, and vapor lines. I'd also check and see if there is a replacable filter on the evap canister under the hood.
The fact that you smell gas when the car is running (I'm assuming you don't see any leaks under the car?) means that the system is leaking somewhere, probably on the vapor side, not the wet fuel side.

Christopher

Old 06-10-06, 01:53 PM
well thanks but another prob is that i had no clue where any of this stuff is located i when to advanced to look for the matance book for the car and they don't carry it and can't order it and there is no suzuki dealer any where near me

Old 06-10-06, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by selfesteem
well thanks but another prob is that i had no clue where any of this stuff is located i when to advanced to look for the matance book for the car and they don't carry it and can't order it and there is no suzuki dealer any where near me
Try your local public library for manuals, they generally have quite a few and even a manual that's for a 10 year old Suzuki would at least show you where the basic components are located roughly. Also check under the hood, all vehicles are required by federal law to have a Emissions Control Systems Information label under the hood that shows the location of the major evap system components and vacuum hoses. In the case of my car, the actual Evap purge canister valve actuator is under the hood, but the purge canister is behind the right rear tire. That's a lot of real estate to cover.

Christopher

Old 06-10-06, 02:11 PM
ok thank you i'll inform you on what i find out or do