Nedd To Improve My Gas mileage

Old 06-10-06, 04:09 PM
Exclamation Nedd To Improve My Gas mileage

I recently bought an 89 ford ranger 2.9l v6
and I really need to improve my gas mileage right now i am averaging 17 mpg I have replace the sparkplugs with motorcraft plugs, added a engine cleaner to the oil the replaced the oil and filter and added an oil treatment, I have replaced the Air filter and flushed and cleaned the radiator is there any thing else I can do to improve my mpg. any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Call up the dealer and ask what kind of mileage that thing was supposed to get (new), or get it off the internet.

What kind of mileage is on it? Know what the compression is? Naturally if it is lower than new, so will your mileage be.

You should check your tire pressure. See how the tires are wearing and see if you can inflate them just a little bit more.

Make sure the vehicle coasts good and is not suffering any kind of brake drag.

Drive like you have an egg under the gas pedal. No rapid acceleration. Let the motor slow down the vehicle well in advance of your having to stop, whenever you can.

Keep the tailgate up. It was discovered on Mythbusters that lowering the tailgate actually made the mileage WORSE on their test pickup!

Old 06-10-06, 05:22 PM
thx daveboy

yeah I saw that MythBusters episode but I took My tail gate completly off until I can get a cover for it

Old 06-10-06, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
You should check your tire pressure. See how the tires are wearing and see if you can inflate them just a little bit more.

Drive like you have an egg under the gas pedal. No rapid acceleration. Let the motor slow down the vehicle well in advance of your having to stop, whenever you can.
IMO these 2 items make the most difference [assuming the mechanical is fine]

Old 06-10-06, 07:14 PM
If the oxygen sensor(s) have over 60K on them, you could use new ones
The latest studies show once again the most important factor is driving habits

PS. Then tailgate thing has been proved before, I'm glad a popular show is spreading the word

Old 06-10-06, 07:41 PM
Synthetic oil in engine, tranny and differentals helps alot. Also some tire shops can fill you tires with nitrogen, this has been proven to improve milage and tire life. You may have heard that acetone in your gas will improve milage. DONT do it, I did im may lawn mower and this spring the carb was full of vasaline type junk. I made a electrolosis unit for my jimmy and went from 17 to 26 at one point. Other times 14, 18, around there. It was alot of trouble though. The best thing is to buy a chevy.

Old 06-10-06, 07:59 PM
That may be about the best you can expect from that pickup of that age.

Old 06-10-06, 08:16 PM
I love to see the guys with the tailgate down and the bed walls shimmying in the wind. Check to see what the gearing is in your truck. That could change the fuel milage from what you are expecting also. I agree with the driving habits being number one. Good luck.
P.S. Watch those oil additives. I used two different brands and my oil pump screen plugged up and nearly ruined my engine.

Last edited by majakdragon; 06-11-06 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-11-06, 04:03 PM
I agree with the synthetic oil. I started putting Schafers in my 98 Caravan and it immediatly went up 3 MPG. I used other more expensive synthetics but they didn't do any better so I stayed with the Schafers.
It gets even better gas millage now though if you read my post you'll know why.

Old 06-11-06, 04:15 PM
I think syntetic in the tranny and diferental would make the biggest difference. I only use it in my engine now but if I ever build a truck like I want to Ill use all synthetic.

Old 06-12-06, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by richardh05k
I agree with the synthetic oil. I started putting Schafers in my 98 Caravan and it immediatly went up 3 MPG. I used other more expensive synthetics but they didn't do any better so I stayed with the Schafers.
It gets even better gas millage now though if you read my post you'll know why.
You know what I don't get though about the hype over synthetic oil and various other products, is that if friction is some kind of problem, then how come an engine can last well over 200,000 on just regular oil? Think of all the times those pistons are going up and down in the cylinders at that many miles! Wouldn't you have to almost presume that with just regular oil, there couldn't be hardly any wear?

Unless of course some engine known for say getting 300,000 out of it goes up to 600,000 with the synthetic or with additives in the oil, like Slick 50 and such engine cylinder wall coating products and engine oil additives like Lucas.

Anyone up on this stuff?

Old 06-12-06, 07:10 PM
Unless of course some engine known for say getting 300,000 out of it goes up to 600,000 with the synthetic or with additives in the oil, like Slick 50 and such engine cylinder wall coating products and engine oil additives like Lucas.

Anyone up on this stuff?[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on how the engine was designed. My dad has a '89 gmc 350ci and got 90,000 before burning oil and 2 trannies. My sister with a '91 350 got 120,000 and one tranny. I have a '92 jimmy with a 4.3L and 180,000 and everything is original and runs like brand new, no leaks either. The reason I wanted the 4.3 is I seen alot for sale with 250,000 miles and knew a woman with a truck with 250,000 and sold it with no problems yet.

Old 06-12-06, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
You know what I don't get though about the hype over synthetic oil and various other products, is that if friction is some kind of problem, then how come an engine can last well over 200,000 on just regular oil? Think of all the times those pistons are going up and down in the cylinders at that many miles! Wouldn't you have to almost presume that with just regular oil, there couldn't be hardly any wear?

Anyone up on this stuff?
Slick 50 cylinder wall coating product..... yeah it does coat em with teflon, prevents oiling too. Stay away from duralube (contains chlorinated parrafins, thats chlorine!) and ptfe containing adds.
Lucas? well they're oil stabilizer makes the oil unstable and it foams up.
The 4.3 is based off the 350, the only difference is that theres 2 cylinders thats been cut off. After 96 and the dexcool.... they had problems with the intake gaskets. They havn't been long that they finally fixed this in the 3.1, 3.4, and 4.3 v6's
I've got a 1980 with a small 267, original bullet proof t350 trans, and engine.... over 400,000 atleast...I forgot how many times it's tripped.

Old 06-13-06, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by racbdlovr
I recently bought an 89 ford ranger 2.9l v6
and I really need to improve my gas mileage right now i am averaging 17 mpg I have replace the sparkplugs with motorcraft plugs, added a engine cleaner to the oil the replaced the oil and filter and added an oil treatment, I have replaced the Air filter and flushed and cleaned the radiator is there any thing else I can do to improve my mpg. any help would be much appreciated

My van was getting 15 now im getting 25. i change the spark plugs to E3 Plug, Changed wires to Taylors. K&N Air Filter. Reg Fuel Clearner every other fill up and royal purple synthetic oil

Old 06-13-06, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
My van was getting 15 now im getting 25. i change the spark plugs to E3 Plug, Changed wires to Taylors. K&N Air Filter. Reg Fuel Clearner every other fill up and royal purple synthetic oil
Thats amazing, Ill have to try that and a bosch oxygen sensor too. The adds say that will improve your milage alot. That syntetic oil is hard to fing, I use amsoil now.

Old 06-13-06, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by michaeljp86
Thats amazing, Ill have to try that and a bosch oxygen sensor too. The adds say that will improve your milage alot. That syntetic oil is hard to fing, I use amsoil now.
ya thats the o2 sensor im usein to. everything made a big different in power and gas milage

Old 06-14-06, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by v8driver
Slick 50 cylinder wall coating product..... yeah it does coat em with teflon, prevents oiling too. Stay away from duralube (contains chlorinated parrafins, thats chlorine!) and ptfe containing adds.
Lucas? well they're oil stabilizer makes the oil unstable and it foams up.
The 4.3 is based off the 350, the only difference is that theres 2 cylinders thats been cut off. After 96 and the dexcool.... they had problems with the intake gaskets. They havn't been long that they finally fixed this in the 3.1, 3.4, and 4.3 v6's
I've got a 1980 with a small 267, original bullet proof t350 trans, and engine.... over 400,000 atleast...I forgot how many times it's tripped.
So what is YOUR secret? What kind of oil or additional products do you add?