1993 Corsica Over Heating

Old 06-11-06, 02:20 AM
1993 Corsica Over Heating

My 93 Corsica is still overheating. 3.1L engine/auto/air 4 door sedan. The radiator was blocked up so it was replaced with a new after market radiator. In the process I lost all my freon and had to have the A/C recharged. It will idle without overheating until you turn the a/c on. ? The thermostat is opening and there is good pressure in the hose. The belt was replaced 6 months ago and so was the coolant. I caught most of the coolant while changing the radiator but had to make make fluid level with a little over a gallon of water. The fan is functioning and there are no leaks. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-06, 03:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the water pump working?

Old 06-11-06, 06:36 AM
I'd be betting on a thermostat...........NOBODY likes to go fishing for a 3.1 T/stat trying to get that funky looking neck out from behind the exhaust crossover pipe

Old 06-11-06, 06:50 AM
water pump

Hey Lexmark. The water is not leaking or making noise. When you squeeze the upper radiator hose after the thermostat opens it seems to have good pressure. Is there some other way of checking the pump?

Old 06-11-06, 06:55 AM
thermostat

Wrench 47 The thermostat is opening. It was my first suspicion when the car orginally started over heating but when the engine warms up the top radiator hose fills up. At that point there was no pressure to speak of though. The radiator stayed cool as a cucumber...that's how I knew it was blocked up. There was no water going through that baby. Now the circulation seems good and like I said...it stays in normal range until you run the A/C.

Old 06-11-06, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by 93Corsica
Now the circulation seems good and like I said...it stays in normal range until you run the A/C.
How high outside the normal range is it going? Most cars place the condenser out in front of the radiator so that gets the bulk of the clean, cool air. The radiator could be picking up heat from the condenser if the temperature rise is small. A lot of cars have circuits that will raise the idle speed when the A/C is turned on too. You'd have to check with a dealer to see if your car has that feature. If the temperature rise is higher, then you might want to consider having the water pump checked to see if it's got the proper flow rate.

Christopher

Old 06-11-06, 09:11 PM
did you burp the cooling system after you replaced the radiator???

Old 06-14-06, 03:52 AM
on the chevy 3.1 there's a lil screw somewhere on the nipple that the top radiator hose comes off of, and when filling you have to open that screw and let the air out of the system.

Search this Thread