Check Engine & Ets Warning Lights On/1997 Pontiac Sunfire Gt

Old 06-11-06, 03:18 PM
Exclamation Check Engine & Ets Warning Lights On/1997 Pontiac Sunfire Gt

Please HELP! When I started my 1997 Pontiac Sunfire GT this morning,both the "ETS"(enhanced traction system) and the "Check Engine" indicator lights stayed on.The car seems to be running ok..no problems...but the lights continue to stay lit(I drove it about 20 miles to see what would happen).The button on the gearshift that usually turns the ETS light on and off no longer works.This has never occurred before now...any clues as to what this could mean?Does anyone know what connection there is between these two warning lights coming on at the same time? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-06, 04:16 PM
That usualy means a sensor on one of the wheels has gone bad. Both lights come on because the engine control system gives the trouble codes. ETS light came on because that is where the problem is.
You will have to get the code out of the computer to know exacly what the computer thinks is wrong. You can generaly find the instructions to do this in your owners manual, or if you have a OBDII code reader that works on you car that will do it.

Old 06-11-06, 05:30 PM
check engine light

had the same sort of problem and I disconnected the neg side of the battery waited 2 min and reconnected to see if that would help and it turned off the light the car has been running good since you will lose the presets on the radio and clock tho.

Old 06-11-06, 06:32 PM
Wheel Sensor/1997 Pontiac Sunfire Gt

What is the function of a wheel sensor and is it important to replace it if it goes bad? Thanks for the info!

Old 06-11-06, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by 1baybedoll
What is the function of a wheel sensor and is it important to replace it if it goes bad? Thanks for the info!
Just like with ABS, the wheel sensor measures the speed of the wheels and sends the data back to the Electronic Control Unit. In the case of both the ABS and the enhanced traction system, the computer is a looking at several values to determine if all the wheels are turning at the same speed. It's safe to drive the vehicle but it should be checked for loose or broken sensor wires, and have the codes scanned ASAP.

Christopher

Old 06-11-06, 09:20 PM
actually the ets comes on when the check engine light comes on, the problem is not even likely to be related to the traction control, it will go back to normal as soon as the problem is diagnosed and repaired if needed and codes are cleared.

Old 06-12-06, 03:33 PM
Smile 1997 Pontiac Sunfire Gt

I disconnected the battery terminal as was suggested..the warning lights went off and the car seems to be running fine now.Strange that it worked but it did!

Search this Thread